Thread: Linux Takes on the Windows Look

Linux Takes on the Windows Look

NEW YORK -- At first glance, it looked as if Microsoft representatives sneaked onto the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo trade-show floor and loaded the Windows operating system on exhibitors' computers.

And that's a good thing, insist the many company representatives who are showing off Windows look-alike desktop packages at the show: Linux needs a familiar, comfy interface to woo users away from Windows.
    to read more about it
    http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,62016,00.html

Linux needs a familiar, comfy interface to woo users away from Windows.
    I agree with this statement. However, the interface will never discourage the hardcores from using Linux.

Of course the ubers are still right there at the command line.

Yeah I agree the Gui will be great for new users and for the linux addicts will most likely use and say the command line will always be the best choice to use when running some application(s) or starting one (Provided that the user knows what commands to type in)

Developer Extraordinar
    quote:
    Linux needs a familiar, comfy interface to woo users away from Windows.

I agree with this statement. However, the interface will never discourage the hardcores from using Linux.

Of course the ubers are still right there at the command line.
    I hate people that say things like that, so they can look like ub3r Linux l33t-os, if a ****ing Windows Manager discourges from using Linux, then you need some serious help, "Oh my God, that makes my life easier, we can't have that, I'm far to ub3r for that, see I use Linux" As for the command line bullshit, why? Yeah, the command line is a great thing when you need it, but why would you like load up a computer with bash on it and nothing else? What can you occomplish faster than you would with a graphic interface? Internet browsing isn't one of them. Command line browsers suck dick compared to say Mozilla.

I think loading faster, sleaker, nicer more eyecandy, as well as other things build into a nice Windows Manager will be a great thing for Linux, it will get users moved over from other Operating Systems, such as Microsoft's Windows, as well, it will probably prompt development for faster, sleaker, nicer, applications with more eyecandy, and features.

Peace

MB

I hate people that say things like that, so they can look like ub3r Linux l33t-os, if a ****ing Windows Manager discourges from using Linux, then you need some serious help, "Oh my God, that makes my life easier, we can't have that, I'm far to ub3r for that, see I use Linux"
    Wow man, you sure are wound up real tight. What's your problem?

At any rate, I agree, the GUI isn't everything.

As for the command line bullshit, why? Yeah, the command line is a great thing when you need it, but why would you like load up a computer with bash on it and nothing else? What can you occomplish faster than you would with a graphic interface?
    Again, you are wound up far too tight. Didn't you notice the smiley face at the end of that statement. Relax dude. I actually agree with you.

.dublix

Yeah i agree with that they need to make linux more shal i say user friendly (hide the truth a bit lol) but anyway i love command line, but its a hella lot betta to have xwindows up and goto a command prompt, i mean what the hell is the deifference? But i got to admit i have a laptop with slackware installed that has never seen Xwindows.

But still one day i would like to see everyone running linux as an easy to use desktop OS.

Developer Extraordinar
    Wow man, you sure are wound up real tight. What's your problem?

At any rate, I agree, the GUI isn't everything.
    Ofcourse it's not everything, but when people think they're the top of the Linux chain, and that their ej33t becasue they use the command line all the time, and someone that uses KDE, GNOME, whatever is a tard that doesn't know how to use Linux, is just annoying. Plus I just broke my $250 hockey stick, and the warrenty was up, and we lost out game 2-0. Still, people who think their 3j33t because they use Linux make me sick. Sure, I use Linux, because I like it, not because "I'll be 3j33t".

Peace

MB

Ofcourse it's not everything, but when people think they're the top of the Linux chain, and that their ej33t becasue they use the command line all the time, and someone that uses KDE, GNOME, whatever is a tard that doesn't know how to use Linux, is just annoying.
    I agree, that would get annoying. Believe me, without the GUI I wouldn't get around very well at all in Linux.

Plus I just broke my $250 hockey stick, and the warrenty was up, and we lost out game 2-0.
    No worries, that must have sucked.

Still, people who think their 3j33t because they use Linux make me sick. Sure, I use Linux, because I like it, not because "I'll be 3j33t".
    I agree.

.dublix