Thread: What does "ICMP Ping" mean?

Exclamation What does "ICMP Ping" mean?

Can someone let me know what this means.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/ICMP.html

webopedia is always a good place to check out computer related terms and what not. At least I think so.

.dublix

Simple
    Stands for (Internet Control Message Protocol)
    ICMP Ping checks a remote host for availability. Local hosts should normally respond to ping requests within milliseconds. However, on a very congested network it may take up to 3 seconds or longer to receive an echo packet from the remote host. If the timeout is set too low under these conditions, it will appear that the remote host is not reachable (which is almost the truth).

Thank you both. I asked because my firwall program says someone was attempting that. About every few hours it seems. Another dumb question, how can someone get my ip address to begin with. ?

Banned
    ICMP is short for Internet Control Message Protocol, a protocol mainly used for error detection/troubleshooting.

A ping is one of the implementations of the ICMP protocol, and is comparable to the ping a submarine sends out (and that happens to be where the name comes from as well).

Here's an overview of the protocol.

Edit: you guys are all too fast :/

Pings are normal,so it's not that anyone necissarily has your address. It might be your ISP checking to see if you are online, or checking to see if you are still using your current address, or running a diagnostics on the line to make sure everything is working properly, etc.

Every time you surf to a page, the information goes from your computer to the server you are trying to reach. The only way that information gets back is if it knows your address (simplistic explanation, I know)

They could get your Ip from your ISP with a warrant ASAP, but generally only if they think you may be doing something illegal. So now the next question you are dying to ask ," how can I be invisible on the internet? " You can't. (was I right?)

EDIT: And as deadaddict states below, it could be skiddies scanning for targets.

Most likely it is someone doing a wide scan of Ip addresses looking for computers who have not had patches installed Etc.

Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)

The internet control message protocol (IMCP) is a mechanism used by hosts and routers to send notification of datagram problems back to the sender. As you'll know IP is essentially an unreliable and connectionless protocol. However ICMP allows IP to inform a sender if a datagram is undeliverable.

A datagram travels from router to router until it reachs one that can deliver it to its final destination. If a roter is unable to route or deliver the datagram because of unusual conditions (disabled links, or the device is on fire) or because of network congestion, ICMP allows it to inform the orignal source.

ICMP uses echo test/reply to test whether a destination is reachable and reponding . It also handles both control and error messages, but its sole function if to report problems, not correct them. Responsibility for correction lies with the sender.
    -

As it is appearing frequently it means there is someone running a port scanner on ur network.Make sure u have no ports open unnecesarily

Antionline Herpetologist
    Getting pinged does NOT mean you're getting port scanned. A ping only checks to see if you're online or not. However, most port scanners ping a host to see if it's up before it's portscanned. But portscans are almost always caught by firewalls. If it bothers you, just tell your firewall to block ICMP Echo Request.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com