Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help...

Exclamation I need help...

Hi guys,

It's a long story but basically i've been hacked. The person either has an obsession with me or just likes to freak me out. Either way he knows my address and my phone number and god knows what else...

I have a few questions for anyone who can help...

How did he get into my pc?
    Did he leave a trace?
    How can i protect my pc more... i use the WinXP firewall...
    How did he find out my passwords, or did he not need them?

How can i find out info on him... all i have is his MSM name and email address.
    Can i hack back at him?? I want to look on his pc to find out info on him...

I have informed the police of a crime however i am not sure if what he has done is illegal...?

Please help someone!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    ..his MSM name and email address.
    How do you know you were "hacked"? (and it's probably better to say "attacked" since that is what he most likely did)

What makes you think he broke in?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi,

Well, he has my CV or "resume" which i have in my docs... he also knows about and i believe has taken an mp3 from my pc.

The story goes... i met a lady from the net and had a 1 night stand... i was stupid and didn't use protection so i asked her if she was clean... naturally she was angry and left a message on my mobile phone/cell phone. This message i recorded to my pc. There is no way that anyone could know about this unless they had accesed my pc.

I have/had a profile on a site called faceparty.com. This person hacked into my account and changed it... the first link is the site as it is now and the second link is my website... if you click on the work "freak" at the top of the page it will download a Word version of what the he changed it to..

http://faceparty.com/member_profile....=21&submit.y=5

http://www.aqnx67.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm

Can i hack back at him?? I want to look on his pc to find out info on him..
    No you cannot do either one of those. He most likely left a trace in your firewall's logs *if u have any* and what you could most likely do, is to pull up his IP through the logs, and contact his ISP. Do a /whois on his IP to figure out his ISP and their customer support number. You could try putting your computer behind a router. What type of internet are you on? "dialup, or Cable/DSL?" Also keep an antitrojan software up to date, in case the attacker installed any trojans/ backdoor in yoru comp. Like msMittens said, how do u know you were attacked?

hi,

at the time i didn't have my firewall turned on... as i didn't think i was enough of a target to be too worried..*stupid me*

I am on DSL and my ip address is not static... i also use norton antivirus software which is upto date to within a few days...

This person spoke to me on msm... the first thing they said was... "you're *joe bloggs* aren't you?" i said yes... then they said "you were a virgin at 25 weren't you.." and i said "what!!"
    then they tried to send me my own cv/resume via msm... by this time i was totally freaked out... then they asked if i still live in "london road" which is my street... then they said they were going to call me... i blocked the person and 10 minutes later they phoned me... i asked who he was and he said he was "the ghost of jimi hendrix" which is what they said when i asked online...

I know they have looked inside my pc as there i sno way they could otherwise know about the mp3 file recording of that woman...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I have/had a profile on a site called faceparty.com. This person hacked into my account and changed it... the first link is the site as it is now and the second link is my website... if you click on the work "freak" at the top of the page it will download a Word version of what the he changed it to..
    Doesn't necessarily mean that they got into your computer. It could mean that the site you're profile is at has flaws. Have you notified the admin of the site?

As for your site, have you notified the admin there of the fact that your page was changed? You might want to check your permissions at your website to ensure that you aren't allowing others to upload files.

As for your resume if you share/download music, those programs usually open up to allow others to have access to your system (kazaa and the like). You might want to ensure that you aren't sharing anything back. Some MP3s have "trojans" built into them. Do you have up-to-date antivirus software with the latest signature/dat file? is it running? You might want to look at downloading something like The Cleaner or CWShredder.

And definately don't "hack back". Attacking back doesn't solve anything and can make things worse. In addition, you've already notified the police (who most likely won't do much) but attacking back may cause them to get involved.

Check your firewall logs to see if there has been any scanning activity from his IP (how do you know it's "his" IP) and how do you know he's seen your CV?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I don't want to attack this person.. i want to know who he is and what his intentions are because i fear for my safety and that of my girlfriends... he knows my address and my phone number and has called me... is that the behaviour of a standard "hacker"? It seems to me this person is more psycho and i'm scared.

I believe i recognised the persons voice and think it was someone i worked with for a while... he freaked me out back then when he said there were 2 sides to him and gave two names for himself... *schizofrenic*

As far as i know he has not been to my website... i only put that doc on there for you to view...
    I have notified faceparty of the hacker..

If your story is true, then it sounds like most of your problems came after your fling in the sheets. Remember someone is P O'd! I say if it is true, because it has the classic signs: get sympathy - teach me how to commit computer crime, written all over it (Nothing personal, just based on past observations). You won't learn that here. You can learn how to secure your computer, network(s) etc.

Looking at this objectively, I'm sure you had many online discussions with your friend, on just about every topic. A lot of personal stuff as well.

Don't be surprised if your friend is getting alittle payback by passing the info along including your address and telephone number and profiles/resumes online are not very secure either.

So clean up the computer as the other posts indicate, call the Cops, the ISPs, the telephone company, get to know the people you are going to be with better, and use protection!

Crap, I'm sounding like an online social worker!

Does your resume have your email address on it? It's possible it was someone who scanned for open shares on your subnet and found you had a share open? They downloaded your resume from your share and the mp3 and whatever else they wanted. From that they could have a lot of fun if they wanted, they already know your name, phone number, address and a bit of your life history. They could have then typed your name into google and they'd been off at the races. As for changing your pic, did you have a rather simple password, or a password recovery option that could have been guessed from reading your resume or other information about you? It could have been something as simple as that.

As for the hack back. Since there's no evidence that you were actually hacked, always take user error/mistake into account, you can't say it's a hack back. Even if it was it's illegal and immoral. You'll only end up getting yourself in trouble if you try to do something about it.

Peace,
    HT

You are naive to assume anything about my intentions, as i am not looking for sympathy and i couldn't give a flying s*** about what you call "computer crime".

For your information i did not have "many...discussions..." with this lady on "personal" topics. It has nothing to do with her... i believe it to be a man i worked with for a while who may be schizofrenic. This is serious s*** to me so it's hard not to be offened by your misguided thoughts on why i am here.

I was not looking for personal advise.. if i was i certainly wouldn't be here where it is clearly lacking.

I appologise for my tantrum... i know your intentions were good.