Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: find location through ip?

Cool find location through ip?

OK i dont know if that fits in this forum....i just wanna know if i can find smb s location (exact location) by knowing only his ip (or the reverse)...i am not talking about whois,lookup,etc....I will tell an example to be more clear: let s say i have a friend in another city....can i find his ip if i know his ISP and his adress? Or let 's say i know his ip ( talking only about dynamic ones) am i able to find where exactly he lives? I am not saying using social engineering or contacting his ISP....can that be done by using a trojan or sth else like that? I am asking that of curiosity...

since you are talking about just dynamic IP`s then i`d say no its not realisticly possible. You would have to have access to their ISP`s records to get a persons home address from their IP address. As for the idea of a trojan or the like the only way that might be usefull is if you could browse thier hard drive and you came accross some personal information with their address listed.

Homenet is effectively correct, all you will find is the location of the ISP server he is using. For example when I have looked at mine, I find that they are in two towns 60 and 90 miles away.

As the address is dynamic, the next person to get it after me could be 100 miles away? IP addresses are not designed for geographical locating like zip codes and postcodes over here.They are just to let your machine contact the ISP server, and it to talk back to your machine and handle your internet communications. What I am effectively saying is that it isn't your IP addy............it is the ISP's and they lend you one when you go on line.

The actual location would only come from your account details at the ISP and your Telco.

Cheers

Just knowing someone's IP will not necessarily allow you to track the user to even the right country - some of the online IP-lookup tools that supposedly tell you where an IP address is "based" think I'm from the Netherlands... so don't trust the results you are given.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

well there a lot of thing you can do and social engineering is one of those option, visit this link maybe it may help a little http://network-tools.com/ or www.visalroute.com then you can start from there sorry not much help and i think you dont need trojan on that search..

Talking GeoBytes IpLocator

This tool may be exactly what you are looking for:
    http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
    It may not give you a street address but it'll at least give you the name of the city.

note: [gloworange]this is my first forum post EVER.[/gloworange]

Re: GeoBytes IpLocator

Originally posted here by zcqw4a1
    This tool may be exactly what you are looking for:
    http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
    It may not give you a street address but it'll at least give you the name of the city.
    Not necessarily the name of the correct city though - for some reason the tool you mentioned thinks I live in Fleet.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    To sum up the previous 6 posts.... the answer is no.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Just one other quick thing to help explain one of the reasons why it is especially hard to find someone's exact location through IP addresses:

Home and office networks can extend for quite some distance. Also, if you find someone's IP address through another network connection, it will often dead-end there instead of going back to the source.

In other words, the LAN/WAN can be centered in York, PA, but extend all the way (through VPNs and LOTS of Coaxial or Fiber Optics cabling) to Washington D.C., or even Columbis, Washington.

The other problem that I mentioned very briefly is that if you find someone's IP address who is doing Remote Desktop Control (RDC), Telnet, or Secure SHell (SSH), you'll often find that some networks and servers as set up so that only the Admins and people running the server can see the true IP address. A traceroute can take you back to the original sometimes, but a clever person who wants to hide their IP address can add on a few behind them, to make things even more tricky.

Now, if you wanted to trace down someone's exact location through a LAN, many computers are labeled, especially at colleges and businesses, as to the room that they are in. Its not uncommon to see a computer name "CL124 8" on a Samba server. CL could easily stand for Computer Lab, room 124, Computer 8. Variations of this aren't at all common.

That's pretty much the only way to find the exact location, and that relies on you knowing where the building, room, and all the other information is from the start. And that they're not lying to you. Kind of risky.

If you could contact the ISP and get them to tell you, they will be able to give you the exact street address, location, phone number and all of the other information that you're seeking. Most of the time, for this to work, you'll need to be a good Social Engineer, an Employee, a Law Enforcement Agent, or someone with a friend inside the ISP who's willing to help you out.

Anyway...Good luck. ;-)
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Again, the answer is no... he did say without social engineering or contacting the ISP and using dynamic IP addresses.... If you are govt you can do it, but that includes contacting the ISP so it doesn't count.

I guess you could do it if you knew the persons name and their ISP, but only if you hack the ISP and look at their billing records. Or if you don't know the name, but do know their IP at a certain time, you could hack the ISP and find out what user was using that IP at that time, then look for the billing records....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman