Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP server

FTP server

Hi

I am in a universitary room and i'd like to know if it's posssible to create my own ftp server by using a software like jana server or something like that, i'd like to know first if it's legal and second if it works and if not what legal way can i use to create a server if there are any ways ?
    And please don't have any wrong idea about my intention.

Edwin

More thank likely, you can't create a ftp server cause your probably behind some sort of NAT device.

Secondly, your system adimin woulnd't like a FTP server, cuase it would eat up the available bandwith when someone was on it.
    =

Secondly, your system adimin woulnd't like a FTP server, cuase it would eat up the available bandwith when someone was on it.
    Ohh ya, thats so True... Take it from me, they dont like people wasting there bandwidth on anything else then school related stuff.

Me and couple of friends were playing Counter-Strike on the College networks during our breaks. Well, we slowed down traffic, so the admin started to sniff and monitor the traffic. After a week, he found out it was us and found us. He told us if we didnt stop, he would call the RCMP (We live in Canada) for installing software without permission, that we broke the "Agreement of the game" etc....

Lets say he wasent a happy camper... Be carefull of what you do on a Univeristy/College network.

Hi

i don't know what is "NAT" , can you give me a link where one speak about it ?
    and if i use a server like jana server for example, can it resolve this problem of "NAT" ?

Edwin

Hi

i don't know what is "NAT" , can you give me a link where one speak about it ?
    and if i use a server like jana server for example, can it resolve this problem of "NAT" ?
    Network Address Translation..

http://www.firewall.cx/nat-intro.php
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Dude!

We've been over this. It is illegal to bypass your university's network security which is what you want to do. There is no legal way you can run an ftp server in your residence. If you want to find a way, call your admin and see what he has to say. This was answered once and the thread was closed because I may have flamed a little... but if you keep asking this same question I'm going to flame a hell of a lot worse.

Peace

[Edit]

Took a few tries but I finally got it worded the way I wanted

[/Edit]

Hi

ok, (don't forget that i am a newbie) you just don't let me enough time to explain myself, and about jana server , it's a distant public server , finally i just wanted to know if i can use a distant public server , can i (does it work i mean)?
    I don't feel so good here , people are not so friendly , maybe i should leave (i am a newbie and i think it's the problem)
    but i'm going to try something with what you propose in the developpment field with "nmap" .
    And tell me if i'm wrong but i feel like ... "paranoia" here.
    so , can you please just tell me if it works or not (what i said at the beginnig)?
    thanks a lot even if it wasen't exactly what i hoped.

Edwin

Edwin, it is just a stupid message board. What are people gonna do to you, shoot you?

I don't feel so good here , people are not so friendly , maybe i should leave (i am a newbie and i think it's the problem)
    Everyone here was a newbie once. Simply, your question has been answered, twice, from the sounds of it. BTW, what do you mean try something with nmap?

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

BTW, what do you mean try something with nmap?
    I am suspecting he does not know about it. Since you are new to this sort of thing, and yes, we were all new once and we are always learning new things as well. To start, you might want to check the tutorials on here or check Google with the things that interest you. If you get stuck, there are people here willing to help. Furthermore, like everywhere else there are those NOT willing to help.

Last but not least, do not be afraid to look into experts exchange. You would be surprised how much you learn there.

Cheers