Thread: WinME convert fat to ntfs

WinME convert fat to ntfs

I just did recovery...yes again and i need to convert my E drive to NTFS because my other drive which winME is not showing up is NTFS also...i cant copy my files using my boot disk with western digital life tools or something

i know that in XP its CONVERT [driveletter]: /FS:NTFS
    well am in winME right now and XP is not installed yet so anyone know a way or command for ms-dos in winME
    ....i tried my western digital tools and partition magic...but wdt would have to erase my files in order to do it and partition magic...the option is there but i can't click it
    thanks in advance
    peace

edit: nevermind people looks like i got it..i used the pm and deleted the partiton and then created it again and i could chose ntfs
    anways...sorry
    peace

Since when did ME start supporting NTFS?

I thought that only NT based systems could do this.
    NT, 2k, xp, 2k3

I thought that ME was just a glorified 98 and that it still used the FAT/FAT32

Or, is it ME just can't be installed onto an NTFS partition?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

yeah.

ME is FAT 32. It doesn't support NTFS
    =

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong I thought NTFS was designed for use specifically within the Windows 2000 & WinXP operating systems not Windows ME. Windows 9x (95a,95B,98,98se,ME) let you choose between FAT16 OR FAT32.

Like you said Windows XP

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt

convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

when you press enter you will see Enter current volume label for drive letter:

Hope this helps, ComputerNerd22

it ME just can't be installed onto an NTFS partition?
    Very true it cant.

ok wait...both partitions are in ntfs and winME doesnt show them and its good for now cause now i can use my boot disk and copy all files from one partition to the other but how do i make it fat again...
    btw: i needed to delete the partition the 1st time to make it ntfs now i cant do that
    anyone have any ideas?...in thinking i could install winXP on another partition and it would show them all...both ntfs and fat right?

I *think* that you can't go backwareds. Once NTFS, always NTFS, unless you delete and recreate.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ok so winME doesn't show them...so pretty much my only way is to install winxp on my 3rd partition on 1st disk and copy all from disk 2(ntfs) to partition2 on disk 1(ntfs)
    i guess thats the only way...or am i gussing wrong??

edit: **** i already tried my boot disk copying frin disk2 80gb but only 18 used to a 25 partition and it wont let me...sais something like it cant fit...the proccess wont even start
    anyone know any utilities or such which copy all files from one partition to another?

edit2: well what im din now is resizing my 80gb disk to about 22 gb partition with 18gb used space to copy all to a 25 gb partition on another disk...li hope it works

As I (mis?)understand it all NT from 3.51 support NTFS, so that's 3.51/4.0/5.0(2k)/XP.

No 3.x/9.x will support NTFS.

If you want to multiple boot you have to use FAT, if you want all OSes to see all drives/partitions.

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What about using Partition Magic? IIRC, you can use this kind of utility to go "backwards" on file systems...

And scriptkiddie, if you can, please remember to stick the OS questions in the OS forum.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

sorry MsMittens but this thread had a lot to do with umm...the filesystems
    btw nihil im not dual booting yet...**** thats what messed me up...i only need my files off the D disk
    over the night i made disk 1 partition 2 ntfs and disk2 ntfs also and copied the files onto the disk 1 partition 2
    after school im installing windows xp on partition 1 in disk 1 and hopefully it will show me the other partition because i cant acces my D disk. So if this works i should have a new disk on windows xp from disk 1 which will contain my files from D disk...so ten i could finally format the D drive and update its driver back to 80GB and i could then access it also.
    thanks all