Thread: For all the Chicken Little's out there......

AO Ancient: Team Leader

For all the Chicken Little's out there......

..... The system works...... Funny old thing, who'da guessed?????

Look here
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

A federal judge has declared unconstitutional a portion of the USA Patriot Act that bars giving expert advice or assistance to groups designated foreign terrorist organizations.
    What kind of chaotic ruling is this?

Your not grouping me into that group are you.

It must be part of some government conspiracy to take over the world.....
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

That states that a group labeled as a terrorist organization, cannot receive advise by citizens covered by the Patriot Act. Meaning that on one end of the scale; a group of citizens could go to jail for teaching a foreign group such as Al Quida or Hamas to use guns or giving advise on which bombs make better suicide devices. That act would be illegal and only to foreign groups based outside the United States. Now on the other end of the spectrum it seems some citizens wanted to help a group that is in alignment with the Kurdish desire to have a soverign state in Turkey. Let's call it Kurdistan, the government (ours) apperently tried to convict them and a Federal judge made the desision that denying these American's suppport to a foreign group was unconstituional and that the Patriot Act could not prevent them from aiding said organization. The organization wasn't mentioned but there are several in operation in the Eastern realm of Turkiye.

Now if this sticks, the Patriot Act could fall apart in areas, depending on the angle and scope of this case. The group they supported wasn't mentioned, or I missed it, there are some vile one's and some good one's so I would base my opinion on that. If they were part of the one's who gun down business owners regularly then I could make a point that your US dollar and misdirected ideas and hatred direclty relate to premeditated and calculated murder. In either case, this is an example of how the Patriot Act can be too broad in circumstances. This is were it justly fails and should be overturned. It's usefullness is running out.

Then those fat cats up there in Washington need to refine this dang thing and make it worthy of keeping around. Obviously, some parts of the Patriot Act are great and others (in the wrong hands) are frightening. *slightly oversimplified*

.dublix

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    My point was actually that the system is as follows:-

1. Moronic politicians with zero worthwhile between their ears except the desire to make it look like they are "working" so they can be re-elected come up with outlandish ideas to "fix" a "problem".

2. The other sheep in Congress think "Wow, better vote for that.... The man is a genius.... And it'll look good on my voting record come election time".

3. The dumb president gets told "Sign it, it'll fix X, Y & Z", so he does without knowing all the little "details".

4. The general public look at it and say "Bull$h1t" and wait for it to used against someone.

5. It gets used and the lower court convicts because they still have their eyes on political appointments.

6. The lawyer appeals to those who already have their political appointment who, in turn, hand down a ruling that says "Just what the general public said, folks, just what the general public said....."

And thus, the system is working exactly as it should..... The unconstitutional portions of any bill will eventually be overturned should the people make enough noise......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    1. Moronic politicians with zero worthwhile between their ears except the desire to make it look like they are "working" so they can be re-elected come up with outlandish ideas to "fix" a "problem".
    -slightly off topic-

No crap, I'm getting sick and tired of politicians (emphasis on the Democrats here, but others as well) who vote just for "how it will look on my record come election time". This happens to be very popular amongst the Democratic Party right now. I've never seen so many flip-flop's in my life. This will surely come back to haunt them; all of them. From what I understand, the only Democrat running who hasn't flip-flopped on numerous issues, perhaps none, is Lieberman. Coincidentally, President Bush himself said Joe Lieberman would have given him the toughest fight for re-election.

.dublix

Woot!! Woot!!

Tiger Shark, that was one of the most clear and concise explanations of due process under American law that I have ever seen...

Cheers!!