Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Virus Alert: Novarg / MiMail / MyDoom

Mcafee has a tool, other than there virus protection to detect it and clean it. Go to www.nai.com and grab stinger. You can also use it to scan remote computers by putting in the UNC name \\usersmachine\c$ or mapping a drive letter to a users c$ share.

Just passing it on.
    If at first you don\'t succeed, f**k it try something else.

stingers been out for awhile lucky for them this is much like mimail which also listens on 3127.

eeye just released a scanner for this as well only their still says mimail scanner in the title bar. LoL cant let any body beat ya.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well well well. How's life in the world of Mickeysoft??

When will companies learn that running Mickeysoft products is a time consuming and expensive affair?

And for the home users out there: sick and tired of viruses and worms?? Get Mandrake Linux - http://www.mandrakesoft.com. It's simply superior!

Viva Linux!

varange

a2 made a update that is supposed to detect the B variant -

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

You can get the free version - it doesnt run in the background, only updates and scans.

AVG made a update for B to.. But why is Symantec only at the beta definitions?

Antionline Herpetologist
    From the antivir website:
    * 2004-01-28
    A new virus definition file is available at the download area.

* 2004-01-27
    Warning: Worm/MyDoom is in the wild. A new virus definition file is available at the download area.

* 2004-01-26
    Warning: Worm/Mimail.Q and Dumaru.Y are in the wild. A new virus definition file is available at the download area.
    Also, my friend just got infected. He received an email with the subject "Hi" and a zip file with a file called doc.pif in it. He didn't know what a pif was (kind of an obscure extension you must admit) and ran it. Ouch! Just about to take antivir on a cd along with symantec's removal tool to get rid of it.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    When will companies learn that running Mickeysoft products is a time consuming and expensive affair?
    Rubbish..... One instance of the virus entered my network. more than 2000 instances were stopped in the DMZ. The infection took about 3 minutes to clean even though the infected machine was in another domain 15 miles away. It was a pleasant diversion from the drudgery of network administration......

You clearly never ran a large Windows network..... And if you did you clearly weren't doing it right, Varange.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I have a question. I've skimmed through the thread but probably have missed this. Reading some of the traffic on the security email lists, there have been a couple of comments of MyDoom infecting the BIOS. (apparently two cases). Has there been any proof that it does do this (hearsay evidence may be actually other issues)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I have to agree with Tiger Shark. I have worked in both mixed environments as well as windows only networks. As long as your network is well planned in the first place and you keep your system up to date most virus attacks are no more than minor problems which can be meet with well defined procedures.
    I do not mistake my dislike of Microsoft for a dislike of their technology. When Linux is as widespread as windows, we will then see just as many attacks on Linux boxes as on windows boxes.
    Ms Mittens as far as I know mydoom doesn’t attack the bios or rather I haven’t heard of it doing so.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    MsM: I haven't heard anything about the BIOS either but I would say that with the high number of infections the probablility is high that other issues affecting the BIOS coincided with the infection of the PC.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides