Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

Hey fellow computer user I'm newbie to Programing and network security I would really like to learn cause what I know now is'nt much I learn fast and have always been keen to computers I would like to know where i can get share ware on different programing laugages or book that I could read to further my experinece Think of me a s appritence with out a master i need some one help to guide me in the right direction and figure thing out if any one can help me please e-mail me at s5zjohns@rbuhsd.k12.ca.us

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Hello, my little Padawan learner. Hopefully others that are more learned than I in some reguards (specifically thehorse13 and Tedob1) will help me guide you. As for free programming stuff. It depends on what language. There are some for Perl, Python, C, BASIC, and many compilers available for free at www.download.com.

I have an excellent list of links, but alas, they are on my PC at home. I'll be glad to post back with them when I leave work. Most are links to eBooks and tutorials. Any specific language?

Learn C,the hArdcOre language, go to www.cplusplus.com (http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/#tutorial) and http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/AI/perceptron.html (go to starting tuts) for good tuts,

If/when you know the C language well ,try this site : http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
    its a great site to learn API(aplication Program Interface) wich basically means creating programs for windows.

*ADVICE*
    DONT use VISUAL BASIC, it is of no use, and its not really a language to my opinion.

Cheers
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are
    trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

DONT use VISUAL BASIC, it is of no use, and its not really a language to my opinion.
    I think we'll both agree to disagree on this one. However, I do agree with you whole heartedly on C. That's the one to learn.

I started on Basic and therefore have a certain affection to my old mistress, but it made learning C a little harder, as the syntax can be a little archaic at times. (mainly because you'll type several commands to complete a function and then realise that unlike Basic, C has commands that will do several functions for you, and then you have to go back and clean up the code) TANGENT ALERT!!!

If you learn C, other languages, such as Java and Perl, will come naturally, because the syntax and command structure is somewhat similar between the three. And anything that you write in C, as long as it is written properly, will be portable between CISC processors such as the i386 and Motorola PowerPC or G series of CPU, as well as RISC CPUs such as the Alpha. (Of course, this is also dependant upon the OS support you build into the application.)

Also, you can write insanely large applications with C, or incredably small, tightly coded ones.

BTW: Did you know that the Windows NT Operating System was originally written and compiled using C?

U CAN HELP......
    ANY QUESTIONS....ILL BE GLAD TO ANSWER IF I KNOW THEM...
    SEND ME E-MAIL IF MY HELP NEEDED......

PIZZ OUT

please racer no caps man...and there is really no need for emailing anyone for this issue is there...thats why the forum is here DUH!!!

anyways you said you learn fast and your still a newbie...i wrote this site couple of times on AO but what the heck... www.freeprogrammingresources.com
    it has great tutorials and step by step learning for very many programming languages, it also has tutorials for almost everything including photoshop, flash, php etc...
    have fun learning buddy
    peace

Originally posted here by HANDzCLEANx

*ADVICE*

I highly suggest you ignore this comment. You will find many VB programmers around here and many of them can do exceptional things with the language. I wouldn't recommend as a first language (although I know many programmers who learned it first and several institutions that teach it as the first language). It is a powerful language when you know how to properly use it. I don't use it all that often anymore (I've moved on to other languages) but when I need to develop a Windows GUI, I always go back to VB.

I'm not sure if I'd say go with C as your first language either. While it is, like c++, a powerful language. It has some complexities that a beginner might not want to dive into right away. If you master it than you'll be set, but you may wish to look into simpler languages like Basic and Turing before moving straight into C. Get yourself a feel for the concepts of programming and then move your way into power.

I also highly recommend Python. It is not a compiled language like C, however it is quite powerful, IMHO just as powerful as C/C++ and much easier to learn.

Enjoy the road to learning these new skills.

Peace,
    HT

Yes, Python is indeed a powerful language in the right hands. And it is also much easier to learn than C or C++ for that matter, IMHO.

And I do use VB for most of my GUI work, as opposed to VC++, simply because BASIC was my first language and it's the one I'm most comfortable with.

I just don't know about the .NET variants, though. There's alot of usefull functionality, but I don't really like VB.NET. (Of course, I've only had it about a month and I thought the same thing about VB6 when I first started using it, so I guess it it will work out.)

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Lots of good advice here...

Now, like someone said, it really depends on you and what you plan to do with the language(s) you learn. In my opinion, PERL is an excellent learning language and has very broad application. I personally use PERL more so than PYTHON. Keep in mind though, in general, languages that require an interpreter will run slower than those that are compiled (such as C++). Not that this is an immediate concern of yours but something to consider way down the road.

The best advice I got was from a dude who developed an OS for IBM back in the Seventies. He told me to learn a language that it interpreted and one that is compiled. He then told me that if I did this, more than likely I would have little trouble learning new languages down the road. He was right. Now, I offer you the same advice.

FWIW

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Learn BASIC, it will teach you the basics: program control, reading files, functions ect.. Then move on to object oriented, i perfer c++, but i recommend learning c
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers