Thread: Mandrake Linux Security Update Advisory

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar

Mandrake Linux Security Update Advisory

Just browsing as usual and came across these. Figured I'd give you gus the links, as they're less than 24 hours old, and I figure a few of you guys (and gals) might use Mandrake.

jabber vulnerability

slocate vulnerability

Just a heads up

I've been thinking about using Linux or going to Linux (whatever it is). I have been using windows forever and a day. . I dont really do a lot of serving except on mIRC from time to time. I use a AV, hardware and software firewalls, plus I do port scans on some of the sites recommended here. My question, what are some of the advantages in going to Linux based OS's

Thanks for your time

Boogymantroy

I'm in the same boat as you.. I've just started tinkering with Linux (Mandrake 10), partly out of curiousity, and partly from necessity.

It's great to just work with something new, and get into the 'know' of these types of systems. If you are into working with network security, it's almost a must, too. The largest variety (and some of the best) network analysis tools are for Linux, with Windows ports coming slowly, if ever.

You've also got a great community of developers and users to help you along. The Linux distros I've used don't treat you like a 10-year-old, either (animated paper clips? WTF?), plus the power and flexibility of a true command-line is there if you perfer to step out of the GUI.

Before you move, though, check for hardware compatibility (drivers). I've got Mandrake on my home and laptop PCs, but I've got no WiFi drivers available yet for the laptop in Linux.. (it's an IBM T40 with the Intel Pro/100 Wireless setup).

And, oh yeah, the ladies LOVE it.. (jk)

l00p

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Boogyman, I got some excellent Linux eBooks I'm going to try to email you. (I say try because I don't know the status of my mailserver as yet.....damn worms! haven't gotten a page, but i don't know if that's a good or bad thing )

Anyhow, If I can't email 'em, I'll give them to you next time I see you. Play around with Cygwin a little in the meantime and do a little bashing (Pun Intended). Also, I'm going to burn you a copy of Knoppix, just as soon as HT finishes recompiling the binaries.

Patience, my little Padouan, with practice you'll get the hang of it.

Patience I have, resources, software, and time I dont. I do greatfully appreciate all of you attempts and your advice. Thanks again

Boogymantroy