Thread: deleting a file....

deleting a file....

I recently put a large (200mb) file on to a network drive. When I tried to delete it I'm told that it is being used by a program. I don't know what program would use it, it's just an independant file, and I really need to get rid of it! Oh and no I don't have admin access.
    Plz help!

My thinking could be off here, but if the drive requires admin access to delete the files on it, then wouldn't you have had to of had admin access to put it on there to begin with? Is it something that you would be reluctant to ask an admin to delete for you? If not, then that may be the best option.

.dublix

I put it into my personal folder on the network drive, which normally I have full access to. I don't have full access to all the folders and settings. It's a college system.

And yes I could ask, the file is nothing bad, but their just annoying people and I want to aviod it if at all possible.

Hmmm... yes, that is indeed a predicament. You have my sympathy. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

.dublix

Could you tell the sysadmin your problem?

I'm sure he'll delete it for you. lol
    =

If it's Windows XP (possibly 2K) you have to wait until the file is read if it's a video/image. If it hasn't yet displayed the preview on the left hand side under details, it'll register as being in use because explorer is reading it, after that file is displayed then you will beable to hit delete. This screws with a lot of people when they start to try to delete large movies by clicking them and automatically hitting delete...

Try deleting it with the command prompt.

yes I did try the command prompt. Oddly enough it thought for a while and then just brought up a new prompt, no error or anything.

I guess I'll try just letting it load and if that doesn't work I'll have to ask the admin!

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Blur