Thread: Try to figure this one out

Try to figure this one out

Alright i have having some problems with my network in my house. Let me take a min. to explain what the setup is. It is a frat house with about 36 rooms in 4 different hallways. The top 2 hallways are on a wired lan, and the bottom 2 are on wireless (atleast that is the goal) I have a cabel modem coming into a linksys router. From the router one goes into a switch witch supplies the top 2 floors with wired internet. Also comming form the router i have 3 linksys wireless access points/routers. The first 2 wireless worked fine one going to the bottom hall and one going to our formal room. When i hooked up the third linksys wireless access point/router it started assigning IP's to comps that are hooked up to the switch. if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Well do the comps on the switch have a wireless card? If so disable it.
    =

Assuming you have everything setup for dhcp, I can see this happening. You may want to just use static ip addys for the remaining computers and disable the dhcp server on just that one wireless access point that is giving you the trouble. This would be the easiest solution that I see at the moment... I may be reading this wrong though, are the computers hooked up to the switch (that are already up and running) getting re-assigned a new ip from the 3rd wireless access point? If not, please explain.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    or make sure that you only have 1 DHCP server.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

"are the computers hooked up to the switch (that are already up and running) getting re-assigned a new ip from the 3rd wireless access point? If not, please explain." -cross

Ok, it is realy weird, i will try to explain again. Yes the third access point is assiging ips to comps on the switch that were running fine. Another twist is that it is only doing it to about 3 or 4 of them. Thanks for the tip on setting up the static ips i will try that.

Are there wireless cards in those 3 or 4 computers?
    =

nope...

On those 3 or 4 computers that are doing that, what IP do they have? Is it the IP range that the DCHP server is suppose to assign?
    =