Thread: Partition Software. Which one?

Question Partition Software. Which one?

I am about to put linux Red Hat 9 on my computer and i already have windows xp pro installed. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question about partitioning software. I have partition magic 8.0, but i have gotten some mixed reviews on it. I have heard of a couple other programs but have never messed around with them. I just formatted my HDD not to long ago, so if it is the easiest way i guess i can do it again with the partition. Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    -Ryan

AO French Antique News Whore
    I never had problem with Partition Magic..
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I have to agree. For the most part, Partition Magic is "THE" partitioning software when you have existing data. There is only one instance that I'm aware of where things got hairy. Back in NT/RH 6.2 days and setting up systems, there were conflicts with NTFS and ext2. Today those conflicts might be with Reiser (I've noticed that I can't repartition my Linux partition -- which happens to be ReiserFS). So those might be the issues to watch out for (ie., Partition Magic may only support certain filesystems to a point).

Otherwise, tis a sweet program and worth the money.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I dont know why but my partition magic 7.0 and 8.0 wont work on WinXP, but on WinME they do that is when i recover my computer....so it be nice if somone could give me some other partitioning software to use on WinXP....i only have to merge 2 partitions thats all
    hmmm i wonder if i took you thread over PhiDelt101...eventhough your just a newbie...i still apologize if i did...it be stupid to make a new thread which is about the same thing
    peace

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    scriptkiddie18, check out this Google Directory Link

You might find something there.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Still the best.

Code:
    FDISK(8)            Linux Programmer's Manual            FDISK(8)

NAME
           fdisk - Partition table manipulator for Linux

SYNOPSIS
           fdisk [-u] [-b sectorsize]device

fdisk -l [-u] [-b sectorsize] [device ...]

fdisk -s partition ...

fdisk -v

DESCRIPTION
           Hard  disks  can be divided into one or more logical disks
           called partitions.  This division is described in the par_
           tition table found in sector 0 of the disk.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

sweet MsMittens...ya know i luv ya
    thanks

I used to use a lil dos-based console app called resizer.exe or something along those lines. The partition resizer. It was very nice. Here in the office we have PM7 and it seems to work rather well. We have seen conflicts where it will die and you'll think you've lost everything(seems it doesn't like some of th S.M.A.R.T. drives).... however the using the XP Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r will fix these problems and you'll be able to boot again.

Peace