Thread: I need an Internet filter: Easy To Config.

Question I need an Internet filter: Easy To Config.

My work has sent me on a mission to find some Internet filtering SW. It must be easy to set up and work with on the admin side. We need something that isn't TOO good that you could let your 2 year old online all day and have no worries. It should be hilghy configurable in that way... ...So we could set it like that or back off a little. We want to be able to set what "flys" and what shouldn't be getting through.

Does this exsist?

Please let me know of some great products.

Thank you.

EDIT: User MUST be able to check web based mail.
    EDIT.2: OS WinXP

If you have a spare machine laying about try www.censornet.com
    Since I've posted about this before, Its probally easier to quote my past message

The distro is designed to be an all in one proxy/firewall solution, and gives you full control over what users see, You can block sites, file downloads. It'll also pick out sites with words in that you enter and block them automatically via the dansguardain program

You can either add users yourself, Or if your running a Windows NT or active directory domain you can import the users from them.
    You can set access times, eg don't allow access during lunch hours, Ban users for X amount of days, limit users to a set list of sites and even limit the bandwidth they get.
    When users attempt to access the internet, They will be shown a log in box, from which they must type in there password and user name

Originally posted here by cheesegoduk
    If you have a spare machine laying about try www.censornet.com
    Since I've posted about this before, Its probally easier to quote my past message
    This sounds perfect! I will look into this and get an idea on pricing. Thank you very much. Thank you also, wedjarl. Once I find the right one, I have to right up a report.

Thanks again!

Re: I need an Internet filter: Easy To Config.

I am looking to do the same for a large company. We are looking at a product: internetfilter.com. It works well so far and the customer service is great.

Originally posted here by DISLEX
    My work has sent me on a mission to find some Internet filtering SW. It must be easy to set up and work with on the admin side. We need something that isn't TOO good that you could let your 2 year old online all day and have no worries. It should be hilghy configurable in that way... ...So we could set it like that or back off a little. We want to be able to set what "flys" and what shouldn't be getting through.

Does this exsist?

Please let me know of some great products.

Thank you.

EDIT: User MUST be able to check web based mail.

I use SurfControl. www.surfcontrol.com It's fairly easy to use and setup even with multiple sensors, also does web reporting for supervisors etc.

/EDIT hmm since you have to do a report there are tones of white papers and case studies as well as policy's (you will need some policy in place before initiating active monitoring just to protect yourself legally) at www.surfcontrol.com/resources/

There is also a ROI calculator there, the bean counters will love it.

I also have heard some good things about Websense http://www.websense.com/products/about/Enterprise/

But I am not using it right now.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I think CyberPatrol seems to be what I am going to go with. I REALLY think Censornet is the best, but it doesn't seem to support Windows.

Once again, thank you all for your help. I'm still open if anyone would like to throw some more in.