Thread: Newbie Programming Forum

Ninja Code Monkey

Newbie Programming Forum

Although it would mean the programming sec forum would see even less traffic than it already does....

I think it would be helpful if we had a 'Newbie Programming Forum' where people could easily find the 'what programming language should I learn' threads and ask questions along the lines of the stl question I answered earlier today that was moved to gcc - http://www.antionline.com/showthread...801#post715801 . It would also be a good place to toss those computer programming class questions that are not really security related.

Maybe pop it up top right next to the Newbie Security Questions forum....
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Or even a general programming forum. Or perhaps renaming Code Review to Code/Programming discussion so we could have both code created by AO members reviewed as well as discussions that might help members create new programs/apps.

I think it's a good idea.

Now if I can just get some of the Senior members to remember to post general, non-security posts in the non-security forums..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I'd go even further by dividing it up kinda like this:

BASIC/Visual Basic/VBScript Programming

C/C++/Java/Javascript Programming

HTML/XML Programming

4GL Programming

Assembler and other Old-School Programming

Perl/Python Programming

Just a thought

Ninja Code Monkey
    I wouldn't divy it up by language.

I think something along the lines of:

Newbie Programming Questions

Programming Security

Code Review

Would be perfect. Anything beyond this is overkill...not enough people come here and actually post in the code forums to really break it up any further. Most people (including myself) treat Programming Security as a general programming forum...it would be nice however to be able to keep the 'what language should i learn?', basic cs class project questions, and noob programming questions in a noob forum.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X