This news really made me to think that time and again we have said that it is possbile to track an individual to his / her PC.. in that case why such a huge ransom agreed to pay to the author....

Is it not possible to trace the origin of virus..... I am confused.....

Read the article

Microsoft offers $250,000 reward for arrest of author MyDoom.B virus

WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. promised Thursday to pay $250,000 to anyone who helps authorities find and prosecute the author of a fast-spreading computer virus.

The cash reward is the third so far under a $5-million program Microsoft announced in early November to help U.S. authorities nab authors of unusually damaging Internet infections aimed at consumers of the company's software products. The MyDoom.B virus, spread by e-mail, causes victims to launch an electronic attack starting Tuesday against Microsoft's own website and prevents victims from visiting the websites of leading anti-virus companies. The virus poses as an authentic-looking error message.

Among the only clues to the identity of the possible author is a mysterious message inside the virus: "Andy; I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry."

"This worm is a criminal attack," said Brad Smith, Microsoft's senior vice-president and general counsel.

"Microsoft wants to help the authorities catch this criminal."

Microsoft urged anyone with information about the author of the MyDoom.B virus to contact the FBI, Secret Service or Interpol.

The company targeted by an earlier version of the same virus, The SCO Group Inc., previously offered a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the creator of the Mydoom.A version, which is more widespread. Experts have said the same person probably created both versions.

Government officials and others have described the $250,000 rewards as the highest in recent memory funded entirely by the private sector - akin to cash bounties paid in the late 1800s by U.S. banks to vigilantes who hunted robbers.

Internal FBI documents indicate the U.S. government is a cautious supporter of Microsoft offering cash bounties.

FBI officials in October gave conditional approval to Microsoft for the concept. But they cautioned they won't share secret details of any investigation with Microsoft executives and won't promise to launch any formal investigation whenever the company announces a reward.

In the documents, obtained under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act, the FBI said it was developing "a more formal operating protocol for working with Microsoft" and with other companies that want to offer similar rewards.

Microsoft said residents of any country are eligible for the $250,000. The company has said previously it will not pay rewards to anyone involved in creating the viruses.

Previous rewards of $250,000 each were offered for information about those responsible for the Blaster and Sobig viruses, which spread rapidly last summer among hundreds of thousands of computers running Windows.

Link