Thread: XP won't die?

XP won't die?

Apparently Dell have now decided to extend their offering of Windows XP to some of their home product range. They had already done so for small business machines.

It seems to be a response to those who want to wait for SP1 before going over to Vista?

http://www.snpx.com/cgi-bin/news55.c...00881722?-2622

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force them to drink.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thank God for that. Many of the apps my company uses are not Vista compatible. Also, a bunch of the web-based services we use are'nt IE7 compatible. Since Vista only runs IE7, we need to hold off for a while. Hopefully Dell continues to offer XP for at least another 6 months.

people dont like "changes" very much.

its alright for the computer/technology savy people. but think about the people who had to take basic courses on how to save files in "XP".
    now suddenly you change the operating system, these people start getting lost.

its something like "old jeans/shoes" you get into it and you know where stuff is and where the stuff is supposed to go.

people are still having problems finding their files and programs after upgrade.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Quote Originally Posted by bagggi
    people dont like "changes" very much.
    No kidding. Go work in an IT dep't running a vintage 1993 Unix server.
    Chit, rolling out a handful (50) of XP desktops wreaked minor havoc
    and forced some other software upgrades. And we got a slew of problems
    with IE7 on our intranet. I don't see us going to Vista for a few years,
    though it's trickling in (we got some engineers who use their personal
    PC's at work).

Ugh, my biggest fear at work is that I'm come to loathe computers...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well it is true that people dont like change as they have gotten use to it. I for one will not be goinbg to vista anytime soon.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Is there really any reason to get vista yet? I mean, what are the real improvements, or "wow", that its got over XP?

Heck, I've just given up on windows entirely. OSX is my main environment by trade, and am starting a Slackware machine by desire to learn (and stability). I dont plan on going back to Mr. Softy, unless I see a real need.

So again, what are the reasons to get Vista, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Apparently Dell have now decided to extend their offering of Windows XP to some of their home product range. They had already done so for small business machines.

It seems to be a response to those who want to wait for SP1 before going over to Vista?

http://www.snpx.com/cgi-bin/news55.c...00881722?-2622
    We are stuck with XP Pro in the office because our vendors haven't ported their software to Vista yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NeuTron
    Thank God for that. Many of the apps my company uses are not Vista compatible. Also, a bunch of the web-based services we use are'nt IE7 compatible. Since Vista only runs IE7, we need to hold off for a while. Hopefully Dell continues to offer XP for at least another 6 months.
    I'm in the exact same boat, however (we are close to being ready for IE7).

I just bought a new pc an hour ago from some local geek shop. Intel Duo and all that. I can't get ANY Linux distro I have to recognise the lan card and that's after I had to struggle with SATA. Actually it sees it and configures it, but I can't get it to bring the card online. I also have to keep reconfiguring the desktop video. Should I stop using linux!?!?

God knows what else I am up for when I start actually loading MySql and Apache.

Haven't tried RH Enterprise Linux 5 yet....
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.