Thread: Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory

How important is that? i have 2 sticks of ddr333 256 ram how much of vm should i set? Should i place a page file on each of the partitions i have?

Old Fart
    vm should be set @ total RAM x 1.5. As for the page file, I can offer no advice other than to say that when using photoshop I have noticed a marked improvement when page file is on an alternate partition.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    vm should be set @ total RAM x 1.5. As for the page file, I can offer no advice other than to say that when using photoshop I have noticed a marked improvement when page file is on an alternate partition.
    how about stripping page file across multiple hdd?

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1686.aspx
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Well The concept looks interesting.. only way is for a scientific evaluation.. run a cpu and ram intensive app.. Time a known process.. ie in photoshop.. apply a filter/render to a image..
    pick a couple of other benchmarks.. say use Word or excel or even a benchmark utility.
    do the mod...run the same tests.. and compare..

Must admitt that I had thought about placing the Pagefile on to a Striped Raid .. have a GA7VRXP-1 mobo.. has ide raid capability...

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

anyone can explain how programs load into ram and virtual memory after reading i'm not really sure how it works.

What i understand is:
    When i run an application it loads into the ram, when i exits the application the memory hold by the application is return back to the system. But why does the guides say that the memory will be use up? Why should the page file be placed on 2 hdd instead of 1. Why does virtual memory is important or god to have even though you have 512mb or 1024mb of ram

can someone enlight me

Virtiual memory is what it says.............virtual.

When you use more memory than you have RAM, the system uses part of the hard drive as RAM, naturally this is much slower, particularly if the page file has become fragmented.

This is generally why you might want to set the virtual memory size yourself...........to reduce fragmentation. In the past I have even created a separate partition for the page file, although there is a technical argument that as this partition is further into the drive, the gains are cancelled by the increased time taken by the heads to get to the data.....

You should have some virtual memory as Windows uses it as a dumping ground for "rubbish" it no longer requires, as well as unencrypted passwords and other sensitive data . If you have no virtual memory, your RAM would tend to fill up (and sensitive data can be extracted from your RAM strips so don't get paranoid ).

Logically, there is no fixed relationship between RAM and virtual memory. The less actual RAM you have, the more virtual memory you will need, and vice versa.
    For example, this machine has 1024Mb of RAM and is currently using 162Mb of the page file. The usage history graph is a flat line at the bottom, but it has used some! as I mentioned above.

I would guess that with 512Mb of RAM you will be OK with 512Mb of virtual memory. Just give it <ctrl>+<alt>+<delete> and go into "task manager" and "performance" and monitor the situation, you can always change it? If you know that you are going to be running long sessions of graphically intensive activity, I would be inclined to set it to 1024Mb in the first instance. In my experience CAD and graphics/design packages will take all the resource that you can throw at them. In that case I would say that you 512Mb of RAM was not enough......I was specifying 1Gb three years ago!

Should i place a page file on each of the partitions i have?
    No, AFAIK Windows will only use one page file without being reset and rebooted.

Hope this helps

How about i create a SWAP drive on the 2nd hdd to serve as a virtual mem drive, it won't cause any fragmentation or it is best to have 1 on the OS drive

Hi Death_Knight,

Yes, setting your swap/page file on a second hard drive is probably better than having it at the rear of your first drive. Provided that the two drives are the same speed. Otherwise always have it on your fastest drive Move applications onto the second drive (Office, games & stuff) then defragment and reset the swap/page file

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Death_Knight,

Yes, setting your swap/page file on a second hard drive is probably better than having it at the rear of your first drive. Provided that the two drives are the same speed. Otherwise always have it on your fastest drive Move applications onto the second drive (Office, games & stuff) then defragment and reset the swap/page file

Cheers
    Hmm... i don't really get you... Some of my system information i have 2 HDD 1 Seagate 40gig 7200rpm split into 2 partition, C: for my OS and applications D: for my game and programs. 2nd HDD Maxtor 10gig 5400rpm i have not decided any use for it maybe i going to store emulate os files on this hard drive. So what's your recommendation of placing the page file or if there's a need to create a swap partition