Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homepage setting and history deleting

Homepage setting and history deleting

I have a problem with setting my homepage: Something set me as homepage some ****, that can't even load, but when I set another page, in next run it is all back!!! Ive tried to delete history, but I cant delete index.dat. Somewhere I red, that in this file is all saved. How can I absolutely delete my I-net history without formating my hd? Thanks.

How can I absolutely delete my I-net history without formating my hd?
    Try going to:
    tools >> internet options >> delete history

I have a problem with setting my homepage: Something set me as homepage some ****, that can't even load, but when I set another page, in next run it is all back!!!
    Sounds like spyware -
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    Download ad-aware and update it. Then scan - see if it picks up anything. If it doesnt, update and scan with your anti-virus (heck.. Could be a virus?). If you cant update or dont have antivirus, scan from trend micro. Then get a anti-virus software. AVG is free for home use- click.Keep everything updated and scan once a week.

Ive tried to delete history, but I cant delete index.dat. Somewhere I red, that in this file is all saved. How can I absolutely delete my I-net history without formating my hd?
    index.dat file may have been in use when you tried to delete. if you delete this file it will again be created. so once you clear the history this file will be deleted and again created the next time around. are you sure its the same one.

How can I absolutely delete my I-net history without formating my hd?
    tools >> internet options >> delete history

or manually go to the following folders and deleteall their contents

%systemRoot%/windows/Temporary Internet Files
    %systemRoot%/windows/Cookies
    %systemRoot%/windows/History

if you want you can also check these
    %systemRoot%/windows/Downloaded Program Files
    %systemRoot%/windows/Offline Web Pages

you can also use these softwares to clear the history

eCleaner 1.0
    eCleaner 1.0
    Cache Decimator 3.0
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-85...ml?tag=lst-0-3
    AbsoluteShield Track Eraser 3.11
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-0-4

[edit] but i don't understand why are you so much paranoid about internet history to the extent of even formatting the system[/edit]

Hes just afraid that someone would discover what sites hes surfing lately.
    I use google toolbar as my default address bar to delete history easily GOOOOOOGLE

have a problem with setting my homepage: Something set me as homepage some ****, that can't even load, but when I set another page, in next run it is all back!
    if your home page was redirected to a Coolwebsearch try the ---. CWShredder

and to prevent hijacks (homepage and favourites injections) try--> HiJack This

futher protection use --->
    Spybot Search and Destroy wherein it has an immunize feature

thatx so much for the post fatphantom, downloaded ad-aware and found a sh*tload of spyware.

Maybe now my homepage can always be www.antionline.com

this is also where nihil come in and adds....
    oh Spybot rules OK.. regardles of if you d/l spybot or adaware make sure that you get buggers updated before you scann.. spybot should be looking for 11000+ items .. if it is scanning only 5800.. it is in need of a update

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Start>Run>regedit

Move to the following path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Now check out the right side values like:
    ~ Default_page_URL
    ~ Start Page

Modify as per yr way!

And so many things as you can read them.

Do not modify other things if you don't know.
    (-:IF U R A HACKER TRY TO BE ON POINT,IT SAVES TIME:-)

Und3ertak3r

Are we going to have to synchronise our holidays

Just because neither of us like to see people attacked by this sort of crap?

Also: http://www.winpatrol.com

Now at v6.5............use the second tab to look at your "IE Helpers".......BHOs (browser helper objects)

Then I guess we have to look at the windows hosts file?

Post back if you still have problems...............given that we must be around 12,000 miles apart, Und3ertak3r and I have them in a damn fine crossfire?

Good luck

I recently had to fix a browser hijack at my Grandmas', (shes 1337!) and ad aware and spy bot werent able to do anything( though it could be updated) Use hijack this as previously suggested, then scroll through the list and find anything with a weird name like coolwebsearch, then google it. If its a popular problem, there should be a site witha remedy in the first 10 or so

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I wouldn't bother looking at the hosts file, nihil.......g00n seems to think it has nothing to do with this sort of thing!

OK, back to the problem......

I'd also download Wintasks4 Pro. It's a little prettier than Hijack This! (Because it costs $40.00 US) and It's got a huge process library (including info on trojan processes) that will tell you exactly what the process does. (eliminating the need to google for the info)

It does miss some processes that Hijack This! catches (mainly hidden processes that run under the system account), so I use them both.

While your at it, download Privoxy.

After you get the tools that everyone suggested (I'd get them all....never can have too many tools), and after they are all properly updated, take the computer offline (physically disconnect internet connection) and go to work.

You are running a firewall , aren't you? I ask because I didn't see a reference to one.

Assume Nothing!