Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE once again fails

IE once again fails

After giving me headaches trying to get into pages saying I had no authorization to enter them, that problem sort of faded, for after trying a lot of things antionline members recommended, Im not sure which one fixed it, or if it fixed it at all, question that arises because no there are a lot of pages that end up putting an error message and won't open, the best thing is some of them, I can see them while they are loading, but then in the process they suddenly stop and go into the error page. Another great thing is some of the files I download from the internet suddenly jump and say they are finished downloading when for example it was an 1.5MB file and at 450K they say its done, and its not. I dont know Im fearing I might have a virus, and Norton doesnt seem to have picked up anything yesterday when I did a scan. If anyone knows about a specific virus that may be causing this problems, help would be really appreciated, or if it might be something wrong with explorer. Thanx in advance.

PS:Sorry if I keep invading this forum just to ask questions about fixing stuff, like Ive said before, the web is not my strong area.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

I download from the internet suddenly jump and say they are finished downloading when for example it was an 1.5MB file and at 450K they say its done
    I used to get this problem a lot, years ago.

Basicially it would do the jump from half-way or so in the file and say that its download complete. But it only happened on servers that were overfull or to far away, or just plain sucked.

when i downloaded from big servers which wernt near full or glitchy i could get the downloads anytime.

Along the virus lines... Have you updated Norton? Have you run Spybot? Adaware?

You might also try the Cleaner.

I personally would suggest using another browser. Netscape is good, and of course Mozilla is an old favorite.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

The latest version of OPERA appears to be outstanding as well.

As far as your downloarding issue. Definetly try well known mirror sites. Don't know the cause for sure, but the sequence numbers may well have got jacked up somehow. Were you using a download accelerater? That could have misqued as well.

OK this is for you to decide?

A lot of sites want to use ActiveX or java.............if they are disabled in your IE security settings, then you will have trouble.

You might like to chech your security settings?

Good luck

If a page gives you no authorization, try to click on its icon in the address bar and drag it into the IE window. That will try to reload the page, and works for some web sites that have funny settings for referrers...

Also, I find that changing the HTTP 1.1/1.0 networking settings and disabling/enabling "pipelining" has helped me in some cases but not all. This simply forces more connections to the webserver to load the page so if one image freezes the page doesn't wait for a time out but uses other connections instead.

I have similarly strange problems where pages won't load. I don't get authorization required erros, but it simply stops loading or does nothing. I haven't fixed them. Perhaps they may shed new light on this sceneario...

My PC is Win2K. I have IE6 and Mozilla 1.5 (later releases failed). Both web browsers have some funny problems with downloading files, both off of my LAN (where my server is located) and on the Internet itself. My hosts file points my web server's URL to the LAN IP and I found that speed things up a bit. BUT, many files will still fail to load.

One specific file couldn't be downloaded to my PC. No matter what program (IE, Mozilla, even MSN Messenger with a friend sending the file, via HTTP and FTP) the file would stop at about 177KB or so. No matter what I couldn't get around this. I eventually had him WinZip the file so the data would be changed, and then it transfered without a problem. I have yet to figure out what caused this problem.

I shut down unnecessary services, tightened my firewall, updated AV and did full scan, ran Ad-Aware and also tried several registry cleaning tools to ensure that I only ran what I wanted. I still have this problem. I even had my server set as a proxy for me and I still had the same problems viewing files that were even on the server itself.

At this point, my only way to fix this is to format and reinstall. I don't know when I will do this, and I have been putting it off for a long time, but it may be the only way to fix this.

I have found nothing that is causing the problem, so if anyone finds a fix other than format/repartition/reinstall I'd be happy.

Thanx for your replies everyone.
    I have java enabled and I have practically shut down my security settings to see if it was anything related to that, turns out its not, I have run spybot and Ad-aware or course (essential tools) and I also use mozilla, but how can I say this.... theres always something inside of me that itches when something doesn't go the way its supposed to and I have no idea what is wrong with it. So basically curiosity kills me jeje. Thanx for all your help again.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Tim_axe and Q-bel:

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the TCP/IP protocol drivers?

Tim:

Could it possibly be a bad patch cable, NIC or concentrating device (switch, hub). It almost sounds to me like a corrupt protocol or crosstalk/reflection on the transmission medium.

I have had this same problem before on my lan and it turned out to be the cable, Tim.
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I would highly recommend going here How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer by going here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;318378

To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:
    Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation media.
    Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
    Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
    While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
    To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/