Thread: IPCop

IPCop

I have installed IPcop as my "project for the day".

I have it up and running. I didn't put it as my router/boarder device.
    I just put it on the lan so I can try out some of the features of it.

At first, I was really impressed. The install was very smooth and I had it up and running within 20 min.
    The logs are great. The services offered are way more than my cisco router can offer.

Afterall, it comes complete with a firewall, proxy server, IDS, dynamic DNS services, ssh, VPN, very small install with practically no services running, and it runs on hardware that people are just throwing away! The updates are a piece of cake! All seemed fine.

After a bit, I went to the information page. Its says that the IDS (snort) was not running. I go to the page to enable it and it was already enabled. The log didn't show it was shut down. I press save and it starts again. I look at the log and I see all the activity I was putting it against. (just basic stuff. port scans, nessus, etc).

I'm confused as to why snort keeps showing up as stopped after a while.

I haven't checked the processes yet. I'll do that next time.

Any ideas why?

Next:

The firewall.

You can't customize the firewall via the web interface. I can modify the rules by hand, or I can use fwbuilder and then load the rules that way, but I was surprised to find that I can't set them via the web interface.

Anyone know different?

I'd like to offer this product to a couple of my "buddies", but I like to try things out sucessfully before I do that. So far. I'm having "issues" with snort shutting down and the lack of customization of the firewall. I can work around the firewall.... but, snort (seemingly) shutting itself down is a huge problem.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    PHISHHHH !!!!! you're alive !!!!

Anyway I tested IPCop and Smoothwall, They are very similar but i must say the graphical interface and performance of smoothwall is better.
    I had them both installed an a P1, so good usage of resources was preferable. I didn't had those problems you had. The only thing i had was that per default the IDS was disabled upon install.

It works great, yeah, but I'll stick to my cisco. Which one do you have btw ?

I have a 1605R. Which confs did you configure for relating to security on your cisco ?

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Well, I haven't fixed the problem with IPCop. I've tried to reinstall it and update, etc.

I have, however, installed smoothwall.

They are practically identical, except for the interface.

I don't have the problem with the IDS shutting down, but you are pretty limited on the firewall config. I can live with that. I'll just modify them myself manually, or using fwbuilder.

The machine I'm using for this is a bit "overkill". Its a dual processor PII 266mhz with 256MB ram, 4gb HDD. Great for logs, but hardware isn't really being put to use.

They have some pretty cool add ons too. Traffic shaping. Thats great! Give myself what I want/need and everyone else what is left over.... I'll have to tweak the settings to see what works best.

Thanks Shrekkie!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.