Thread: Debian or FreeBSD

Debian or FreeBSD

I was just wondering if somebody could help me choose between these two distros:
    FreeBSD and Debian. I have never used anything besides Windows, and I would like to start using Linux or Unix. I want to try Debian because of the great things I have read about it, but I am worried about the installer which is complained about a lot. I don't understand what would be hard about having to type in the serial number or something of the hardware I have so thats not a problem. But I might want to try FreeBSD because most of the documentation I read about security is aimed Unix gurus, which makes me think that the GUI of Linux would prevent someone from being able to do something which states that a Unix should do (in other words, all the stuff I read abotu Unix being the true OS of all security people and hackers) so I wont be able to do anything. So, can anyone help me by telling me if the Debian installer is harder than I think it is, or that Unix allows the user to do more things than Linux can.

Both are very much the same on the outside , the commands are the same (mostly) and the guis are the same it is the internals that are different. Try both , Freebsd is a harder install but the documentation is exceptional. If you install freebsd , don't configure x during the install do it after as layed out in chap 5.4.2 of the handbook , and don't use sysinstall to configure stuff later on as it has a tendancy to muck a few things up.(works great for the initial install though)
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

As for me ...i just recommend using any BSD.. don`t go for linux because u will experience some crash and bugs..If u want to find OS with minor bugs...go for OpenBSD
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

BIOS Bomber
    Originally posted here by bintara
    don`t go for linux because u will experience some crash and bugs..If u want to find OS with minor bugs...go for OpenBSD
    do you have any idea what the hell your talkign about?

two things:

free bsd is WAY easier to install than debian. free bsd is not even hard. its not as secure as people say either. http://www.antioffline.com/freebsd.html

open bsd... unless your running in a server environment theres no reason. linux makes a far better desktop than any bsd. where the hell are you getting these bugs from? iv been using linux a while and i dont have any crashes.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

well...here somelinks just for infomations http://www.cotse.com/nix/os/bsd/stealth_os.html

i got from other thread
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Mandraketux....do you realize that link you posted was last updated in 2000?????

stickman> your just leaning. So pick one and go with it. Most of the documentation you see for one about things to do and ways to do it is pretty much common across most platforms. That doesnt' include things like RPMs and apt-get, but most of the commands are basically the same. If you see something, and you try it, and it doesn't work, then ask around and someone should be able to tell you the proper way to do it. If its possible on one nix derivitive, then it is possible and almost all of them.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Why dont you just give them both a try for a while and then decide which one suites your needs.

Dont believe when people say my OS is more secure than yours OR my OS is better than yours cause blah blah ...

Why cause each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Also some people forget that to others installing FreeBSD may be hard cause they do not have the experience or maybe forgot to read the manual etc etc ....

Ahh human ignorance how it can cloud our minds at times .....

Hope that helps in some way.

Note : Make sure that before you decide to install the OS [ FreeBSD or Debian ] to read the manual. Also check and see if all your hardware is supported as well. If all fails just come back here and ask. There is many people who will be willing to help you out.

That's my 2 cents ......
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

BIOS Bomber
    about the link; i dont care, it's funny.

about installing free bsd, if you boot from the cd rom, you can read the stuff on the screen and most of the process is easy, as the instructions on screen walk you through things.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.