Thread: Why all just linux????

Why all just linux????

I can`t get it..why all people here just post a thread just Linux
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

More to UNIX

anyone here using BSD or other UNIX?
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

Elite Hacker
    Many people here use BSD/UNIX. You can post about whatever you want, whether it be just linux, or BSD/UNIX. If it's any of those and isn't about security just post in the Operating Systems forum, and if it's about security just put it in the *nix forum. And if you're not sure, just put it where it best fits, and a mod will move it if it's wrong. I'm sure that wasn't what you wanted, but you were kinda vague so that's all I could come up with. Sorry.

Thanx for dat info mate
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    can`t get it..why all people here just post a thread just Linux
    That's not true. Theres way more Windows threads than linux threads. Me personally I havent had the chance to run BSD yet but I'm currently using Suse 9.0 and Slackware 9.1 Redhat 9 Windows XP Professional. What is the most secure BSD Operating system? FREEBSD NETBSD OPENBSD etc...

BIOS Bomber
    BSD and Linux.....This dude is trying to start a holy war. Some people like linux more, some liek bsd, deal with it and quit replying to every thread you see with "use unix" jack ass. there are bsd threads here too. a few people installed bsd for the first time and when they woke up there box was rooted. quit dragging up 3 year old threads to say you use an os that can be installed on a toilet paper roll, no one gives a **** what you use, we are here tot alk about information, not tell everyone what to do.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

BIOS Bomber

Re: Why all just linux????

Originally posted here by bintara
    I can`t get it..why all people here just post a thread just Linux
    round 2 DING.

i dont get it, what the hell does this have to do with security.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

sorry bout dat...im not to start a holy war between linux n BSD..honest..i just wonder ing why more ppl ask bout linux..got any BSD user here..and one more thing OpenBSD is one of the most secure OS...that is a fact..
    B|nTaRa a.k.a s3tup

BIOS Bomber
    AIX is secure, Trusted solaris is secure, HP-UX is secure, but do you know what? an os depends on the admin, not the code.....well unless its windows ME, then your ****ed either way, but with most OSs, the admin makes it asecure, not the code. Openbsd, yes, very secure, but so are the things i listed. and Solaris and AIX and HP-UX, are also REAL UNIX systems, not clones like BSD and Linux. Linux is secure, more than people usually give it credit for, but it, nor any other OS is perfect.

if you are into bsd as much as you seem, check out the links in my sig, you might like them. i like bsd, but i dont like people going around like they are hardcore because they use something else. its not like bsd is hard to install, i'v done it a million times.

i like linux, i like bsd, i like unix, but i can also use all of them, but linux just does what i need so i use that. bsd is good for servers, well, so is slackware. http://www.slackware.com the entire web site runs off ONE computer. its a pentium 3 600 mhz machine with 512 RAM, and a T1 running slackware linux. that should atest to how good slack is.

also, if you install slack and free bsd, there are virtually the same in looks. slack was made with stability in mind, not prettyness.

if you really want to get into some bsd and linux discussion, this is very much the web site. just put it in the operating systems forum.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    That is a fact.

I personally have a preference to Linux, as I'm an old System V UNIX-head. BSD is just as good as far as I can see. There is really no overwhelming negative side to using one as opposed to the other, IMHO, as long as they are properly patched and hardened. It's simply a matter of preference.

Besides...we're all in the same family! Can't we all just get along

Windows ME! ROTFLMFAO!!!! I don't even call that an OS!

BTW: BSD is not a unix clone...it is also a true UNIX....BSD UNIX. Just because it's not based on System V and doesn't cost a fourtune doesn't mean it's not UNIX!

We'll debate this one later, though...this is the wrong forum for that!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.