Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virus automatically sending mail from Outlook

Well MURACU
    we have here is huge intranet spanning the globe...very huge, athough we have a department to look after such affairs I would ( being the curious type too ) want to solve the problem myself.
    I am trying out what u said moxnix.
    \"I\'d hate to have a kid like me\"

Ok,
    If after scanning with your updated antivirus your machine is clean then the problem may not be on your computer. As Monix said change your passwords both for your mail and your windows session (if using windows). The problem may be that someone else is using your account. If you are able to install new antivirus software i suppose that means you have administrator rights on your computer. It could also mean that other people have administrator rights on the computers in you service.
    I am looking at this from the point of view that your antivirus is up to date and you have no virii. this also means no trojans as they would also be detected. If this is the case you might need the help of your computer departement as you will have to try to find the culprite over you whole network. If you are lucky it will be your friend in the next office playing a joke on you. If not you might have a serious security breach. If you want a bit more information on virii and trojans then i would suggest you do a quick serch on google, yahoo etc. I done one and the first site I found was :

trojan definition

It seems to be fairly clear. If need more detailed information then post yuor question and you will get all the information you need.

It is good that you keep the details of you network to yourself till you have some idea of who you are talking to.

hope that helps
    cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Couple of quick questions that might help narrow this down in a more efficient manner......

1. How do you know mail is going outbound from your Outlook by itself?
    2. If it's your friends telling you they are receiving mail are they only reading the "From:" line and it says you or are they digging deeper - mail headers?
    3. How many _provable_ instances of this occurring have taken place?
    4. What is the content of the emails, is there an attachment, what is the subject line?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

HI MURACU and Tiger_Shark and other antionliners,
    I have found that the mails being sent are not only to those in my address list , but some weird recepients too. How I get to know that emails are being sent ? well
    1. my friends are say "what mail have u sent ?, can't make head or tail of it "....even though I havent sent mails to them
    2. mailer daemon notifying me that my email was not delivered to (weird) recipient.
    The frequency of mails is random, couldnt find a particular pattern. In a day roughly twenty mails are being sent.

I tried to search for Trojans ... by some utility that associates ports to the processes , but could not find anything fishy, but considering I am a newbie I can be foooled easily I agree.

The plan of action I suppose will be as MURACU suggested, change my passwords. Will do so and see wass up.
    And for information
    1. My antivirus signature are most uptodate. <--- can this mean some virus in the LAN to which my comp is connected could be responsible for this ?
    If yes then how do I get rid of the menance ?

Desolation: Your email is not sending out these mails. Someone you know, that has you in theor address book or elsewhere on their PC has been infected with a virus, (probably MyDoom). It is sending out mail with your name picked randomly from the address book of the victim. The "returned mail" messages you are getting are being returned to you because that is "apparently" who sent it to their mail server and the account is no longer valid.

I get this all the time with my users..... You have nothing to worry about.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yep,

This is a common confusion in a corporate environment. The addresses in your address book will be repeated in a lot of your colleagues' books as well, because you work and do business with the same people.

If you are using SMTP mailing you might like to look at:

http://www.internals.com

"Mail Control" by Yariv Kaplan.

It asks for confirmation of all mails you send out, which is a good way to stop these mass mailing proggys from spreading, and it also warns you if you do have a problem on your local machine.

You might like to mention it to your security guys?

Cheers

You might also want to tell your IT guys that if they haven't already done it to block outbound SMTP from all but authorized machines, (mail servers), at the firewall. Then even if they do get infected it doesn't make your company look bad when it sends out these mails because they can't get out of your network anyway.

hi ppL
    this really means that someone's else's comp is infected and not mine. Will tell my support anyway.
    Thanks Tiger and thanks nihil
    Desolation

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Hey Desolation Jam:

Sorry bout the hard time I gave you in the other thread, bt thanks for being a good sport about it. Did you ever get anywhere with it. Memory and I had a chat and changed my mind about the scenario, do if you didn't, PM me and I'll see if I can help. (would post it in the forums, but don't want the kiddies to see it.)
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.