Thread: VIA cooler PROBLEM!! very serious :(

VIA cooler PROBLEM!! very serious :(

Hi there ppl, once again i come and ask for help.

Here´s my problem:

I have a PIII 800Mhz on a VIA VT82C596B, and today on the afternoon the processor cooler van began to make noise, i toke it out and try to see the problem till i acidently cut one of the wires. Ok i didn´t had other choise than to buy a new one, and i did.

The older one even with the black wire cuted works if we "paste" the wire back on manualy to it but i didn´t feel like soldering it back on and bought a new one.
    The problem is that the new one dont work here, i tought the problem could be the cooler fan but no, because it works fine on other PC, i tried to switch the main power source of the PC with other one ( cause i tought that maby the power source wasn´t passing enought current to the motherboard, but the same thing happens. The cooler is new and working..the rest of the PC works fine, all ohter components..

What is my problem, can anyone help me? this is serious i guess..please!!

Owmen
    Owmen

well why don't you just put the old one back on?

I'm sure you've done this, but you did plug the new fan into the appropriate power pins on the motherboard right?
    =

Is your "other PC" a Pentium4 by any chance?

I think that you might have the wrong fan? Like the voltage is wrong?

Just a thought

Hi there ppl, the PC is a Pentium III, the fan is a Titan, iv tested it on another PC a PII and it works..yes i pluged it right on the same pin has the other one..i don´t know what to do more , any ideias?
    Owmen

This is rather odd...........are there the same number of holes on the fan plugs (the old and new ones) what is the model number of the new fan?

The only reason I can think of is that the voltage is wrong, provided that it is connected properly. You are getting power from your motherboard so can you find out what voltage is there and required by the fan? If it needs 5.25v you might get a power splitting cable and connect it to the power supply via that.

You must check the voltages first!

Cheers

How can i check that?
    This is strange cause i tested it on a much older board and worked, and i switched the main power suply from the 2 pc´s and nothing..
    Owmen

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Take a tester an set it on dc measurement. Carefully take the connector and measure where you have -12V.
    Mostly this is the yellow one. the two blacks normally are mass and the Red is +5V (not sure about the red one tho.)

Search 12V pin and the mass-pin. Most probably the Voltage-mass scheme is different on the pins and the fan-connector. That could happen .... I've had it before.

The best is to try and connect the fan first on a splitted connector directly coming from the supply.

If you don't know how to measure, than let someone else do it. It can be risky.....

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

What is the make and model of the PIII?

The fan should have an insert in the box + the label on it should tell you the voltage?

Cheers