Thread: Problem with telneting

Problem with telneting

I have IP from my friend, he is running xp and I've tried to telnet(or telnet with netcat) to his computer.(not unauthorized, we are ineterested in that). But I dont know the ports, he is running and if I try to scan the IP, no answer will be shown. So I dont know on which port should I connect. Can you help me? (maybe it is necessary that when i type on his computer in command line ipconfig, it will show some portal IP and then IP from his(?) computer. I thank you for answers, and please don't hurt me for the english, it is not my mother tongue.

god, what is it with telnet lately? well, the default telnet port is 23, but even if you try to connect to your friends computer on port 23, it wont do any good if he's not running a telnet server. as for no response when you scan his IP, is he running a firewall or behind a router? if so, then you probably wont be able to connect to him even iif he is running a telnet server, unless his firewall asks for acceptance of incoming traffic or or has a dmz on his router. hope this helped a bit....

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm... the default port for telnet is 23.

And what's being used to scan his computer?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

oops! typo, im havin trouble typing since my left eye is swolen shut. hope i didnt mess the kid up, trying to connect on 13 ....

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

LOL.. I doubt it since it's the default port. But if the scanning tool showed a port open then he could do telnet <ip> <port #>, which would have at least the client side working.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I am using haktek. Bad?

Originally posted here by slick8790
    god, what is it with telnet lately? well, the default telnet port is 23, but even if you try to connect to your friends computer on port 23, it wont do any good if he's not running a telnet server. as for no response when you scan his IP, is he running a firewall or behind a router? if so, then you probably wont be able to connect to him even iif he is running a telnet server, unless his firewall asks for acceptance of incoming traffic or or has a dmz on his router. hope this helped a bit....

slick
    And how can I take his real IP adress? It is possible, if I have physical access to the computer?
    I think the IP adress, that I can join. Thanks.

with physical access, you can go to www.myipaddress.com and get his "real" IP...im not sure what you mean by that , but i think what you are looking for is his public IP. that is what you would connect to...about hacktek, yes, bad...check out these links here and here . i'd get rid of it....

slick

Never heard of it. You'll probably need a scanner that doesn't depend on ICMP. nmap might be one that can do this with the -P0 option. Retina and SARA might also be able to do it.