Thread: unix hints related to linux

unix hints related to linux

I was just wonderin gif it would be possible to use the hints on unix to linux. I was just wondering because I have a lot of books related to unix, and I would enjoy using unix but this is hard since I am not that sure of the difference between unix and linux.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    For many of the commands and many of the applications, there will be similarities so yes. But there may be some specific variations so just keep it in mind.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

But is their a lot more development for debian and not freebsd? so I would have to wait a lot longer to get my freeBSD updated but I could probably update Debian at least once a month, and their is a much larger pool of applications available to linux users and not unix.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It's not Debian specifically that is updated more often but the various other applications. I don't know too many distros that update once a month outside of security patches and application updates. Major releases are more like once every 4-6 months and that seems on par with the *nix distros (Solaris/OBSD/FBSD, etc.).

What there is more of is general usage of Linux version *nix (in the general sense). You will see more publications on linux than FreeBSD (I think I saw 4-5 books on FreeBSD versus about 50-60 on linux and various linux distros). Depends on what you are looking to do.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage