Thread: auto AV scan

auto AV scan

is there a way (under windows 2000 / XP) to get the AV to automatically check floppys, cd's etc as soon as they are put into a drive and before they can be used( and if possible before autorun kicks in) or would this be an AV specific thing?

Give CA's eTrust a try, I think it may cover your needs. (Remember, most of the suggestions will be personal preference). This is not my personal preference, but I do suggest it on all computers that have multiple high risk users that may get infected easily. It keeps a good 90% Safe and Clean. That is a good percentage in my opinion.

I would say that this is an AV specific thing, I do not know of anything in the OS to do this.

Check the options in the AV product, and select an AV that does what you want.

Cheers

( and if possible before autorun kicks in)
    Not that this answers your question, but disabling autorun would be an option. From everything I have read here and other places, conventional wisdom (if you can call it that) is to disable that feature.

Here is a very old article that explains why: http://www.ctla.org/newsletter/1999/0699nl.pdf

My apologies, I know it's a little off topic, but it is related. )

hey groovicus...where do you disable autorun? and well i use norton and i know it doesnt open nor let me see any files infected with a virus....so would it not automatically stop the virus from the cd and floppy too?

scriptkiddie18

If your av is set up correctly it should scan everything like e-mail, net downloads and movable media. Remember that scanning and detection are two different things!

Cheers

Well i think norton is set up to detect automatically...in the tray you can enable and disable it, but im just unsure if it checks CDs also...?