Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modem calling?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Question modem calling?

I was playing around one day and called my ISP's number that I connect to, to get online. Can this be a security risk? If so, how? How can I find my modem number?

What happened when you made the connect?

The security risk is higlighted by the practice of War dialing- whereby attackers will dial phone numbers and try to access any computers they get through to (ever see War games?).
    There are various saftey functions that are used now to prevent this such as call back, and various authentication mechanisms.

Now, is it actually a security risk if you can call your ISPs, well, that depends, what happened when you called the number?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

<R0n1n> Well it made this modem type of noises! I played with the numbers and when I pushed 12 it changed sounds! I think I opened it or something. When I logged into the internet a minute later the start up page was all messed up!? I wonder if this was because of me?!
    <Quis custodiet ipsos custodes> What language is this?

How can i find my modem number
    The telephone line that you connect through, the number to that line is the number to you modem.

This isnt reall a security risk unless you are running a DUS (dial up service) where people can connect to you be calling your number.

But unless you have this installed, or a trojan that allows DUS, then it isnt a security risk.

ok, so you dialed it with your home phone? so yes it would make the modem noises as thats what your modem does when it calls it up.

When you pressed 12 It would be the same as sending data to the modem, hence the tone changes.

As to pushing 12 and the page being messed up, I guess maybe it could have happened, although I`m not to sure how, any phreaks out there???

And its Latin.

umm....data messing? lol If my experiment did mess the page up, I wonder if it just messed up mine or did it do it to others?

try it again and see what happens, maybe it was just a fluke.

Also try different numbers

[Why r u using a dial up modem anyway, my God that must be horrible.]
    [Lord Viczerez::Emperor of the Viczerian Empire]
    ::GO UCF KNIGHTS:: ^_~ ::
    [RiceBoy1782@hotmail.com]

Hi kurt_der_koenig (Kurt The King )

The language is Latin, that of the ancient Romans:

<Quis custodiet ipsos custodes>
    The literal translation is "Who guards those who guard?"

A more popular (modern) translation: "Who is policing the policemen?"

I would suspect that R0n1n is on target with his "fluke" suggestion. As you are on dial up you will have a dynamic IP address, so if you rang off you should get a completely new connection the next time.

I do not think that there is a security issue, as you are using dial up, and you could actually come over here and set up your details on one of my machines and connect to your ISP. Problem would be with my telephone bill as I would be paying long distance rates!!

Now, if you were using the dial up facility on the computer, I guess your software might have stored something? so you got a fouled up page as it tried to resolve an unfinished task and the new one?.

You would not have caused any problems, I would have thought, as people dial up computers and FAX machines all the time by accident. Similarly, a FAX machine with the wrong number entered will attempt to dial a computer, which will drop the connection if it does not understand FAX machines. From a security standpoint I would disable fax on your PC.

In high security environments, FAX is only permitted on stand alone devices ( FAX machines)

Hope this helps

I prefer "who watches the watchmen"