Thread: netsys help...please

linksys help...please

im trying to connect to a remote location with pcanywhere. cant. computer doesn't ping and all ports show 'open' in a scanner.

does a linksys dsl router show all ports as opened or does this mean that the isp has started filtering inbound.

im sorry i...in my hast to find an answer i typed netsys it sould be linksys...duh!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Does the router show ALL ports as open, or just the common ones? Is it a router or a DSL modem?

If its a router...I don't know the exact settings on the router, and it may not be set this way, but sometimesif you place a computer behind a router, you'll not be able to reach it from the outside with things like FTP, Telnet, SSH, or PCAnywhere.

I would suggest checking on those things first. If the router doesn't allow for services to go TO your computer, and I think it might, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

If that's the case, the only option you might have is replacing the router with a DSL modem, which should remove the problem. If you still want to share the connection with other computers, install another ethernet card in your computer and plug THAT into the router. Some tinkering from there should allow you to share the connection nicely.

If its a modem, then I have no idea, whatsoever. Check the firewall settings, may-be??

Hope this helps.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

ok! its router behind a dsl modem used for a soho. "ALL" ports show open. 5631 & 5632 are mapped to the correct internal ip address for the appropriate protocols and allow inbound connections from my firewalls ip address. a connection was made using pcanywhere about a month ago. there is no portmapping for any other service. now... when you port scan a linksys router what do you get from unopened ports?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's not impossible to reach a computer behind a router. Even my little D-Link router has an option for DMZ. You should be able to put the IP of the machine you want to reach in the DMZ, then you should be able to reach it as long as that was the only problem. Hope it works, Later Ted.

Tedob1,

You are either going to have to setup the computer to be in a DMZ or you are going to have to setup a port forwarder. The port forwarder would work by sending all requests on that port to the internal IP that you specify. Otherwise, the router will assume that the traffic is being directed at it and respond appropriately...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

You were curious as to what a port scan for a linksys router looks like. This is mine:
    maccurdy@Requiem:~$ nmap 192.188.1.1

Starting nmap 3.45 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-02-04 19:00 EST
    Interesting ports on 192.188.1.1:
    (The 1655 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    80/tcp open http
    8080/tcp open http-proxy

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.599 seconds

The router has those two ports open so that you can manage the routers settings through your web browser.

While it IS possible to forward ports...here is what I would recommend trying if you haven't already. It may or may not work, but its worth a shot.

On a linksys router, you manage it by typing in the IP address of the router into your browser, and typing in the password. The defaults are:
    IP: 192.168.1.1
    User: N/A
    Pass: admin

Once you've been granted access, click on the Advanced tab, then Forwarding. If you fill out the table presented you correctly, you may be given the opportunity to work things out, and set it up so that they will forward all port requests to the proper IP Address.

Note: It may be required to make these changes to the router from a computer that is behind the router.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

thanks for your replys. its not my network im trying to pcanywhere into. it belongs to an associate company that is using our propritory software. their having a db problem so i have to get one of the help desk people in there.

its been done before at the same location.

the router maps the ports w/protocol correctly to the right pc... or so im told. we've used pcanywhere in the past with this same set-up at this same location so i would imagine this is so.

its not my network. i just would like to lead the guy in the right direction or possibly walk him threw fixing it. the scans react like a firewall. they all show open (netcat: open notsock) but he says he has no firewall just the router. i really thought this would be a much easier question. ive set up many sohos and mapped a whole bunch of things. it would help me emmensly if i knew how a linksys router responded to a port scan.

ah hell! tomorrow ill set one up here and scan it.

Above is the scan for my linksys router, and I'm pretty sure its universal. While scanning a Wireless linksys router, I got the exact same results, minus port 8080. I think that's the way they all respond unless they've been configured to allow every port through. The company may have set it so that every port forwards to another computer, so each port appears open. I can't be sure, I'm not sure exactly how it would work.

Good luck.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Thank you SonofGalen! although you're scanning from the inside out that is what i would expect of my scan from the outside in. that is only mapped services showing as open. i would hope remote admin was closed no matter what kind of password he could use. that would leave 5631 tcp and 5632 udp showing as open.

the internet provider he is using is adelphia and i think hes in nc.(north carolina not netcat) im on a T threw uunet. i know uunet is not filtering anything so if my scan on the test router (when i get back to work tomorrow) shows as i expect like yours then i can tell him his isp is causing this, given nothing has changed in his set-up from the last time we did this.