Thread: unknown error

unknown error

My roommate and I use Internet Connection Sharing through my XP box (he uses ME). Recently all web pages stopped loading on his machine. I was trying to find a solution to this problem when the ME box popped up this error:
    <unknown> has caused an error in <unknown> <unknown> will now close
    Then the computer rebooted.
    At that point it was laugh or cry....so I thought I'd post it here.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

What you may want to try and do instead of using the built in internet connection sharing is try to turn on routing, through services and set up your computer as the gateway for his. You would need 2 nics in your computer though. As for the error, i have no idea what would casue this. Was anything changed in either machine the coincided with this error? If so, what were those changes and we may be able to narrow down what the problem is.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    As for the error, i have no idea what would casue this.
    That'd just be a Microsoft "feature". Every now and again I find their errors sorta like meaning. The best error I ever saw was on an NT PDC/file server. I had enabled the auditing so I could keep an eye on things and one day while going through things I noticed one of those big red errors (it was unusual on the box since it was pretty clean and straightforward). I double clicked on it to see what the problem was and the error was listed as "Task has completed Successfully".

I'd hate to think what would have happened if it failed!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The first time it occured, I thought it was funny, second time it happened I was less amused.
    It occurs on the windows ME machine that is 'trying' to share my internet connection. I can view the shared files on both computers and am having no trouble connecting with the host computer.
    The only web page I can open on the ME box is google's home page and MSN's home page...everything else is "the page cannot be displayed"
    Trying to run the network setup wizard gives me the <unknown> error.
    -I've made sure TCP/IP is installed on both computers
    -I've checked/adjusted/rechecked every setting I can find a reference to when googling for ICS.....
    At this point, I'd be happy just to figure out how to get back to square 1!!

Oh well I guess, at least I'm not bored.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

funniest error I saw once while demoting a server:
    Unable to complete the request: the server is unwilling to complete the request.
    (that may not be the exact wording as it was LONG ago, but we laughed for days over that one)
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

AO Part Timer
    I have a pretty good one to add. See attachment

I was trying to play a screener of a simpsons episode not on dvd yet.
    Once I clicked for more help, it returned "No more information is available now"