Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logon Scripts

Logon Scripts

Hi guys,
    i have a bunch of computers in a small workgroup which all require logon scripts.
    I know how to write logon scripts as .bat .cmd,

net use S: \\host\drive

But my qeustion is how do i add a name and password into this automatic process,
    i want to do this because all my client machine stop and wait for a user name and password to be entered. I figure there must be a way of doin this, but i cant seem to figure it out.

hi misterxtreme,
    just want to clarify the point do you want to have the computers logon automatically? that is there is no wait for input from a user.
    another question what is your OS?

I made a quick little serch on microsoft this is one of the results i got.
    Enabling Automatic Logon After Boot
    My local library has a batch of PCs running an electronic library catalog application. These machines are basically single-function kiosks; the librarians don't want people using them for anything else. To get the machines set up to run with as little intervention as possible, the catalog software's installed as part of the Startup group; that way, it runs when Windows 95 starts. An NT-based kiosk system would allow the library to keep their computers more secure and administer them with less hassle; they can even get the automatic logon feature that Windows 95 offers.

Warning Never, never, never enable auto-logon with an account that has administrative privileges. If you ever leave your machine unattended, an office prankster (or determined attacker) can have the run of your network right from your machine. Good security practice dictates that you only log in with an administrative account when you need to do something that requires the extra privileges.

To enable automatic logons, you have to make a total of four changes to values under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon:

Set the DefaultDomainName value to the name of the domain you want to automatically log into. Of course, instead of a domain you may specify the name of the computer itself.
    Set DefaultUserName to the user account name you want to use when logging on.
    Add a REG_SZ named AutoAdminLogon and set its to value to 1.
    Add a REG_SZ named DefaultPassword and set its contents to the password for the account you specified in DefaultUserName. If you leave this value blank, automatic logon will be turned off (actually, AutoAdminLogon will be set back to its default value of 0).
    Once you make these changes, the next reboot will automatically log on the account you specified. If you want to log on as a different user, hold down the Shift key as you log off the machine; NT will allow you to use the standard logon dialog to log on as another user.
    you can see the whole article HEREHERE

it gives some other very usefull information for tweeking windows. it is handy if you are useing windows .

I may not of explained it correctly so i try to be more spisific.
    When i say logon script i am referring to the automatic process of mapping network drives when a user logs on. some of the drives map fine, but some user require access to $ drives which require a user and password to be entered. i want to automate the input of the user and password see pic,

pic

Sorry i edited my previous poste before i seen your new post. I would say at a quick glance that the easiest way to sort out your problem is to use the security permissions on the folders and shares. Unless there is some reason for not doing this.

I do not wish to lower my security levels, i just want drives to be automatically mapped when system administrators logon.

Why don't you have the program, TweakUI from microsoft automatically log you in with username and password and then have your batch file run at startup

i have .bat files running at startup but they ask for input. see pic below.

Pic

If i understand correctly you want to have access to certain folders when you log. So instead of passing by the adlimistratif share C$ why not just share the subfolder that interests you. You can leave it open only to your admisitrators which would be the more standard model of security. The danger i can see with having it totally automated is that the password will need to stored somewhere which is a large security loophole especially if it is your administrators password.

i'm not sure if i understand this fully, but maybe this would do the trick, copy and paste this code and make it a .bat

Code:
    [put username here]
    [put password here]
    for example, if your username is john, and your password is pass then it would be:

Code:
    john
    pass
    give it a shot, tell me how it turns out.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just Another Geek
    To be able to use logon scripts you'll need to convert your workgroup to a domain.
    This will give you centralized account management. After that you can define which account can do what and also what script to run at logon.

Another option would be to install the script in the users startup folder.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.