Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old email

old email

i just got this email tonight... and it says that it was sent almost two years ago... how is that possible? it wasn't a fwd or andything like that... this is weird to me....

Received: from hotmail.com [64.4.33.207] by webice.net with ESMTP
    (SMTPD32-7.05) id A5173254020A; Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:32:39 -0600
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
    Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:31:03 -0800
    X-Originating-IP: [63.156.70.214]
    To: "Daniel Bryant" <Mishka@webice.net>
    Subject: rhgt/prvlgs
    Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:26:49 -0600
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Mailer: MSN Explorer 7.00.0021.1900
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1C427.E0D7EB20"
    Message-ID: <OE65JPBErvoirrvLEZA000149c6@hotmail.com>
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 Mar 2002 15:31:03.0781 (UTC) FILETIME=[C2D34150:01C1C45A]
    X-RCPT-TO: <Mishka@webice.net>
    X-UIDL: 312938413
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

I don't think you can spoof the date, I suppose it is possiable. This is going to make for intresting discussion. Anyway, You may be able to spoof the date. Is your email client's clock set wrong, or set to another date/time? There could be a number of other things besides spoofing to look at here. But then again it could be spoofing if possiable. Or it could be possiable you just didn't see the email in your inbox, and it's been there since 2002
    \"It\'s true you can be anything you want, but it\'s far easier when your ambition is complimented by the ambition of others\"

lol maybe...

no... the subject matter is even two years old... i've recieved other emails through the same client on the same day that were not from 2002... maybe i should contact my client and find out if there was any problem recently with the date/time?

oh i've never heard of spoofing the date/time but what is the probablity of a noncomputer suave person to do something like that... is it possible for this packet to be stuck in a routing loop for two years?? that doesn't seem likley to me..
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

I don't think so. Hotmail your client will recieve the message and deliver it to your instantly. Webice I have never heard of that, It may be possiable for the email to be stuck in a loop as you said but, I doubt it. I am not for sure to be honest it's either with your client or with webice's servers
    \"It\'s true you can be anything you want, but it\'s far easier when your ambition is complimented by the ambition of others\"

the thing is i received it from hotmail... which means that i guess hotmail should of sent it right away... but that didn't happen... i contacted webice my provider and asked them if they had a problem with they're server date/time recently but we'll see what happens....

Webice promptly emailed me back thismorning and told me that they upgraded they're out going email server... they said that it could of been spooled or deleted and just sent again to my inbox during the upgrade... but does that make sense if it was the outgoing email server?

Just for reference, using careful control of SMTP it is possible to alter all of the header of an e-mail. I've only seen it done from a shell script though, and only when a person has access to the server. I don't think that's the case here, but I figured it might be worth mentioning.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

I have seen e-mails with strange dates on them due to the server's clock/calendar getting messed up.

I suppose my question would be did the contents look as if they were two years old?

Cheers

sonofGalen: really? i had no idea that was even possible... by control of SMTP do you mean like reconfiguring the protocol? well can you go more in depth about what it takes to Spoof Email with or without access to the server? or show me where i could find that out?

Nihil: yes actually it was two years old... from an old relationship... not to mention it spooked my current girlfriend... it just bothered me that my client and the header said that it had been sitting in my inbox for 2 years. Webice told me that it could of been spooled and resent when they upgraded... but why would it of been spooled for two years?

The problem could be with the sender, if for some reason the mail did not get sent, it could have been lying around and then got sent when they upgraded or fixed something?

I did have that happen with a couple of messages in Outlook Express, as I normally use Outlook, and my wife did not realise that. I eventually got her set up OK but did not know about these two test messages till about 5 months later!!! when they eventually arrived.........had me worried for a few moments.

I do not believe that they would still be in Hotmail..............they must change servers more frequently than that?

Did you recognise it as something you had seen before?

Cheers