Thread: Linux Partitioning

Linux Partitioning

Hello,

Quick question for you all. I have installed SuSE linux on my box and upon doing so I used my entire hard disk in the process. Is there any way that I could possible shrink this partition and get some extra space for me to load XP as well. Is the a program or method that works best. Thanks for everyones help.

Scatman
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Absolutely, you can manipulate partitions sizes fairly easy.

Obviously you'll need some background info before you start the process. Have you searched this site and the previously posted topics listed below? Search also for multi-os installs etc. There's some different partitioning utilities we can use as you work thru this as well

It also sounds like you completed a default install, which is great for a short first time linux experience, however, if you want to be secure, you'll need to create other partitiions for: var, tmp, boot, home, usr, etc.

It is most adviseable to do some reading and set up a game plan first, including partitions size requirements and so on.

Those partitions are all set up as of now. My linux install in covering my entire 80Gb hd and I need a tool of some type to shrink it. The idea is that I need some free space to reformat to ntfs. Can ya feel me?

scat

Scatman,

Sorry it took so long, but I had my choice of using my fingers on the keyboard or wrapping them around a foot long turkey sub. Choice was obvious.

Below is a link to a whole slew of programs. The link was originally posted by our own MsMittens on 1/29/04 on the thread "Partitioning Software. Which one?

http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...artition/?tc=1

You should be able to find what you need there.

Good Luck

Apparently you can resize a linux partition with Partition Magic.
    The quesion is, is it worth it? It may be easier to wipe your current installation
    and repartition and reinstall.

I never resize partitions. It ain't natural.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I hear you on the fact that I isnt natural cause it sure as hell isn't. But neither is XP so i feel things balance out. Partition magic eh...for linux I hope as well?

scat

Since you already have Suse installed, doesn't it come with parted, or GNU parted? I don't understand why you would need anything else. I'm not familiar with Suse, but I thought it came with everything.

I always thought you had to have Windows installed first, but I ran across a link the other day that tells you how to set up a dual install in you already have linux installed.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO/intro.html

Good luck.