Thread: email and websites

email and websites

Hiya,

This is what I wanna do but dunno how feasible it is.

Basically what i wanna no is, if i get webhosting, will I be able to recieve email on it and then run somesort of script on my web host to use the email recieved?

the emails that will be recieved contain data, that will be used to do live updates on a website, and i was just woundering if any one knew whether its possible to do this sort of thing, the data is only text strings.

I wasnt sure how web hosts and the email accounts you get given with them are configured,

cheers

i2c

Kind of hard to read...

What sort of scripts? Its possible to download the e-mails via POP3, and have them saved as a .txt file. Then with a little bit of programming, you could read in the text and run that as a batch file or a script.

I don't think/know if it would be possible to do this just on the web-server. It depends on what kind of server it is, and how much control they give you of it.

If this doesn't help, more information, please?
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

well, kinda

basically all i wanna do is have some sort of way where i have a string of data send to a website, it doesnt have to use email, could use sockets but most web hosts dont allow socket creation on there service

you can use a forked process, but again they dont like that.

i thought email might be simple, but I suppose if i had a perl script that took the input from a special http request of something, not sure really

any ideas??

cheers

i2c

So r u talking about makeing an email a data-carrier? Like when emails r sent to the server, the emails be put in a bin file, the bin file will have a _FileWatcher on it, when a new message is recieved it will parse the message and send the data to a script or what not to update the site.

Is that what u r wanting to do?
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

l3aDmOnKeY, thats exactly what I want to do.

I just woundered whether it was possible on the cheaper webhosts, and if so which ones.

Im now thinking about using FTP as this is easy to use

but email still has its benifits

cheers

i2c