Thread: Need advice

Need advice

Hi guys,

Here is my problem. I developed a web application in VB.NET & ASP.NET. The app is workflow system. I just recently found out that what I made will not work because they will not let the app use IIS or any server for that matter. So now web application can't ne used. Now we r going to develop a desktop app that will use MSDE or Access as the DataSource. Now here is the sceniro:

We want to make this app availbe for everyone on the network(at the office) So we could install the app on every desktop and install one database on one of those desktops. Now every persons app needs to talk to that one dataSource. Can this be done without making a computer a server? Can it just utilize shared folders? Are is there a better way of doing this?

Here is the only contsrait: No computer can act as a Server.. ie IIS, Apache etc..

I am not very knowledgeable on Network stuff can someone please help? I just need to know if what I said can be done, or if there is a better way?

Thanks,
    l3admoNkey
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

If you set up basic file sharing (Microsoft Client File Sharing should do it) You'll be able to share it across the network. All you'll need to do is right click on the database and then choose sharing. Read it and fill it out. (This assumes you're using 2000/XP.) If not, you'd need to do a bit more with it to get it working, but 98/NT shouldn't prove too much more of a problem

Just curious, why can't you use a server?
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Yes XP and 2000pro systems. So if I make the db shared as File Sharing can an app access the DB as well?

No server because of the rules... to make more sense out of that, the app is for the US Army and they have very strick rules on server use and who can have them. argggg damn them

Thank you for replying,
    l3adMonKey

Users should be able to access it, and the database as well. You'd point it as such:

\\ComputerName\FolderName\FolderName\DataBaseName

That SHOULD work for you. Good luck!
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

That will be very awsome if it does I will try it out first thing tomorrow at work. Thank you for replying

Not a problem. If it doesn't work, just come back and we'll see what we can't do to help. I'm sure other people here will be able to figure it out if my solution doesn't work.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Antionline Herpetologist
    Yes, it should work. The problem would of course be, that that desktop would have to be on all the time. IMHO, enabling NetBIOS over the network is a lot less secure than using IIS though. Stupid rules if you ask me . BTW, nice to see you posting again l3aDmOnKeY.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com