Thread: OpenBSD boot floppy question

OpenBSD boot floppy question

Ok, I just got OpenBSD 3.4 and I was going to install it on a test box to mess around.
    (up till not, I've only messed with linux based distros... and this came with a magazine I just got)

It seems that this box doesn't support booting from cdrom and I have to create a boot floppy.

In the past, I just used rawrite to do this.

I need to copy a 1.4mb file or image "floppy34.fs" to my floppy.

rawrite won't do it for some reason... not an .img file.

And, I can't just copy over the .fs file because its 1.4mb and the disk can only hold 1.38mb...

So, how do I do it? I can't seem to find the answer...

Thanks in advance!

Sorry bout the n00b question...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Try using "fdimage floppy34.fs a:" in a command prompt. fdimage.exe does not support long filenames, I don't think, but you should be ok with only 8, and this might solve your problem. Try it out and tell me if it works or not.. I have a couple more ideas if it does not.

K, just did some mroe looking up some stuff, and came up with this:

First, go to ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.3/tools/ntrw.exe and get that ntrw file for writing to floppies in BSD format. Then, ensure that you have the afformentioned fdimage.exe, and if you do not, get it from http://turtle.ee.ncku.edu.tw/sgclust...ge/fdimage.exe . Now, in a command prompt, before you do what I said before and type in fdimage floppy34.fs, type:

"ntrw path/to/floppy34.fs a:"
    then type
    "fdimage path/to/floppy34.fs a:" (Of course both are without the quotes)

jehnx:

Thanks for your help!

The process you described works just fine! (after a bit of tweaking in the bios)

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

I'm new to BSD... this should get interesting.

Last time I tried to install it I completely overwrote my other two OSs... so this time I'm doing it on a fresh box.

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Damn... why do they have to make this so difficult! I actually have to read documentation to set this sucker up... damn, what happened to the GUIs? LoL

Looks like my nightly project is going to turn into a weekend project...

I can see why it is the "most secure OS"... you can't figure out how to install it without reading... which means that most people won't install it, therefore, it rarely gets online, and then rarely gets hacked! j/k

guess thats the end of this thread.... if I have more ?'s, I'll take it to the OS forum.

thanks again!