Thread: Connecting Legacy (98/Me) client to 2003 server

Unhappy Connecting Legacy (98/Me) client to 2003 server

I'm having some trouble connecting a Windows Me client to a Windows server 2003 domain. When a password is entered, I get an error saying no domain server was found to validate password (2000 and XP clients have no problem).

I've installed the DSClient with no luck. Following the advise of this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555038

I've made the registry changes to enable NTLM2 Authentication, and enabled SMB Signing.

Still no luck.

Any advise?

Thanks!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Installing Active Directory Clients
    You install Active Directory client on a Windows 95 or Windows 98 system by completing the following steps:

Log on to the Windows 95 or Windows 98 system you want to configure as a client. Then insert the Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 distribution CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.

Open the Run dialog box by clicking Start and then clicking Run.

Type E:\Clients\Win9X\Dsclient.exe, where E is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive, and click OK. Or click Browse to search the distribution CD-ROM. In the Clients folder, you'll find a subfolder called Win9X. This folder should contain the client executable. Select the client executable, click Open, and then click OK.

Running the client executable transfers a few essential files to the client and then starts the Directory Service Client Setup Wizard. Read the welcome page, and then click Next.

Install the client software by clicking Next. The wizard detects the system configuration and then installs the necessary client files on the system.

Click Finish to complete the operation and restart the system.

Click Start, choose Settings, and then click Control Panel. In the Control Panel, double-click Network.

In the Configuration tab, select the Ethernet adapter card entry and then click Properties. Make sure that the TCP/IP settings are configured properly to access the Active Directory domain. Configuring TCP/IP settings is discussed in Chapter 16, "Managing TCP/IP Networking."

In the Identification tab, check the computer name and workgroup information provided. The computer name and workgroup should be set as explained in Chapter 16.

If you changed settings, you'll probably need to restart the computer. After the computer restarts, log on to the system using an account with access permissions in the Active Directory domain. You should be able to access resources in the domain.

Note

Windows 95 and Windows 98 systems running as clients don't have computer accounts and aren't displayed in Network Neighborhood. You can, however, view session information for Windows 95 and Windows 98 running as Active Directory clients. Start Computer Management, double-click System Tools, double-click Shared Folders, and then select Sessions. Current user and computer sessions are displayed in the view pane. For more information on shared resources, see Chapter 14, "Data Sharing, Security, and Auditing."
    Source : Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Administrator's Pocket Consultant By William R. Stanek
    -Simon \"SDK\"