Thread: Svchost Error

Svchost Error

I have Windows 2000 Advance Server .. it works fime no errors or anything but whenever i use my dial up commection to Internet after a while a error mesage pops up twice, i have atteched a screen shot of that . after that althow the computer seems to work fine but i am not able to copy paste anything and some of the hyperlinks do not work

I would try:

1. Run debug and print the results.
    2. Go to the Microsoft technical support site and search for the error messages.

At first glance it looks like some sort of authority problem and/or two programs trying to access the same memory address?

Have you applied all patches and updates to your OS and browser?

Another possibility is a memory leak............try running a RAM defragmenter every few minutes and see if that gets rid of the problem. In particular, run it after you have closed one task/app, and before you start another?

Cheers

Nihil, I think this one is virus... some version of Blaster...

Frend of mine had exactly the same (including copy/paste) problem, but he didn't had time to play with it... he formated his HDD.
    W0lverine, use blaster removal tools, that would help... if not, let us know.

EDIT
    I just talked with my friend on the phone.
    Here is what happened to him. his NAV detected MSBlaster. He is not sure if it was quarantined or deleted, but when he run MSblaster and MyDoom removal tools, nothing was found... but svchost was braking, and copy/paste didn't work... then he formated his HDD.
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

yes ikalo i too had MSBlaster a while ago i cleaned it using AVG. i think this problem started after that

Then we are on it...
    MSblaster probably changed original svchost.exe or some other file that svchost runs...

did you try with sfc.exe?
    Ikalo
    ------

i have done everything man but it dosen't want to go . i have sacnned with antivirus(AVG) . with spyware scanners. tried sfc. even deleted the damm svchost.exe , i don't know from somewere it in again created in the system32 directry, and the problem remains any more gusses...... it is driving me crazy man

"Well since svchost is a generic host process for services running dll's" from (http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;250320) you may just have a couple corupted files, maybe in dial up networking. It wouldnt hurt to rebuild all your connections and see if this solves the problem.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

It wouldnt hurt to rebuild all your connections
    you mean create the dial-up connection again?

I just got done cleaning a machine with blaster on it yesterday.

Download and run FixBlast by Symantec -
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FixBlast.exe

Then go here and read up on what you're experiencing -
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

Towards the bottom of that site, you'll find the download links.

After that, run Windows Update and patch yourself all up, and get yourself a free personal firewall. - www.agnitum.com/download/ or www.tinysoftware.com

Norrisk, blaster removal tool of any kind won't help. Virus is cleaned, there is only some file or registry key corrupted. It is not detectable with AV or removal tool.

w0lverine, try to find how to manualy remove blaster. Every AV site has some sort of manual removal instructions...

after that try with deleting dial-up connections and creating them again like EaseZE sugested.
    if that doesn't help, there is possibility that your winsock stack is corrupted. Here is link to one nice tool called winsockFix http://www.antionline.com/attachment...achmentid=3967

If that doesn't help.... do you make backups of current system state from time to time?
    that will restore all dll's and registry settings... which reminded me, I should make one too.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...081#post715413 here you can read how did I found that little tool.
    Ikalo
    ------