Thread: Windows Server 2003 problem.

Windows Server 2003 problem.

Ok I have a little problem herem

I have one windows server 2003 small business edition server, and theres about 15 clients that connect to it for files.

The client computer that I'm having problems with is a windows 98 SE computer.

I haev two drives mapped to the server on this computer.
    Z drive and F drive

I can open up Z drive just fine, but when I try to open up F drive I get this error message.

Windows networking could not connect to the shared drive \\server1\tlr due to the following error

"More data Available"

Now I've never seen that error before and have absolutely no idea what it means. lol
    =

Antionline Herpetologist
    NET VIEW Err Msg: Error 234: Additional Data Is Available

This article was previously published under Q132593

SYMPTOMS
    When you type the command

net view \\<SMB server>

where <SMB server> is an SMB server (such as a Windows 95, Windows NT, or Windows for Workgroups server) in an MS-DOS session in Windows 95, you may receive the following error message:
    Error 234: Additional data is available.
    CAUSE
    The server has an excessive number of shares. Net.exe can view only a limited number of shares.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, use Network Neighborhood to view the server's shares. In addition, you may resolve this issue by using the hotfix listed in Q160807. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows 95
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;132593

0927 ยป SBS client receives "Error 234: Additional data is available" while using NET VIEW.

When an W9x SBS client issues a NET VIEW \\ComputerName to view the SBS shares, they receive the subject message.

This doesn't happen on a Windows NT client.

SBS creates a default share named Administrator and W9x can only handle 12 character share names.

Rename the SBS share on %SystemDrive%\Users Shared Folders\Administrator from Administrator to Admins or ForAdminOnly or BuyNTWkstn or ...
    I'm leaning towards the second one...

There ya go... let us know if it fixes the problem

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Now why didn't I go searching the net, I have no idea.

Thanks for the links.

I'm away from the servers right now, but I'll let you know tomorrow if it fixes them.
    =

I never double post in a thread, but I must on this one.

I haven't had a chance yet to try that out as one of the data jacks is broken and its gonna be next week before thats fixed.

However I do have one more problem.

This problem is with Windows NT server 4 with all Service Packs

I can map one drive to the NT server, but when I map another one it says that Y: is not accessible. I made sure that I gave this account permission to access this share, but I just can't map it. It shows that the drive is mapped under my computer, but I can't open it. lol

Oh yeah, same computer running 98 SE
    =