Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer--HELP!!!!

Internet Explorer--HELP!!!!

Hey there, guys!
    I'm writing this for my friend, whi no longer has access to the internet, because of reasons I'll tell you here.

A couple of days a go, he connected to his IP Network (voyager.net) just as usual. However, when he tried to access Internet Explorer, his only browser it gave him some message about his Age Cutoff. He can't even access the Internet, which he only used to view his home page, the news, baseball forums, and some research about Ford. Well, this guy's an engineer for Ford and a C programmer--of course he's old enough. Even worse, some one also changed his password to access the part of the Control Panel you use to manage age levels.

What's going on here?

Oh yeah. I forgot to say--the OS is Windows 98

It's most likely that your friend has been trojaned.

Follow these steps :

[1] Up-date his antivirus program and then do a full system scan.
    [a] If he doesn't have an antivirus program then either :
    -- tell him to purchase one
    -- download a free one
    **AVG Free Edition
    -- use one of the free online virus scanners available
    **Housecall Trendmicro
    -- trojan removal program
    ** You can try it before you purchase it, but it's worth it.
    **MooSoft Development - The Cleaner

I almost forgot that he couldn't use his internet explorer. How about telling him to uninstall internet explorer and then reinstalling it ?? Also you could download the programs for him and then burn them on to a cd.

Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Thanks for the help!!!!!

I'll call him

If your friend needs a browser, you can download the OffByOne browser to a floppy
    and install it on his computer.
    Caveat- it doesn't support java.

http://www.offbyone.com

Old Fart
    Let us not neglect the importance of a GOOD FIREWALL....it helps keep those jerkwads from getting in and mucking around in the first place.

www.agnitum.com , home of Outpost firewall would be a good place to start.....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Yeah, he was using Symantic's firewall, I think it came with Norton System works. I personally like MaCafee, and ZoneAlarm (probably 'cause it's free).

If I was you I'd use "Firebird" it's based on Mozilla but it's realy great. It's still beta but. It supports almost every Operating system out there I have FreeBSD, SuSE, and XP all using it.

you could use HiJackThis
    get it here
    you want commitment put on your best suit, get your arms around me now we\'re goin\' down down down

it gave him some message about his Age Cutoff. He can't even access the Internet, which he only used to view his home page, the news, baseball forums, and some research about Ford. Well, this guy's an engineer for Ford and a C programmer--of course he's old enough. Even worse, some one also changed his password to access the part of the Control Panel you use to manage age levels.
    I do not understand this, there is nothing in IE about "age cutoff" that I can see, or find in the helpfile.

There is a content advisor but that is based on sites and content.

Control Panel does not manage IE..............there is a link to it, but IE is managed from within IE.

A password to access part of the control panel.....................not in Win98 IMHO

Does he have some sort of parental control software running, that has gone haywire? If so, boot into safe mode and delete it!

This behaviour does not match Win98 and IE..............something else is doing it, I am sure......either malware or third party software?

Cheers