Thread: Netbios Vulnerabilities

Netbios Vulnerabilities

After scanning my university subnet (halls) for open netbios connections i have found that there seems to be 3 computers totally open to this vulnerability. I'm worried that someone else with malicious intent may conduct the same scans as me but instead of doing it for educational purposes they may upload a virus, trojan etc or just delete all the shared files.

I think this is wrong and therefore would like to warm these people, but without giving away who i am. I think the best way would be to contact the computer admin department with the details of these machines and their vulnerabilies. Can anyone recommend a way in which i could contact the admin department 100% anonymously and pass on these details ?

Any advice/help would be great. Thanks
    -

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Email them from a throwaway hotmail/yahoo account from a publicly available machine.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I know this may sound archaic but maybe dare I say it...snail mail . I'd maybe traceroute the domain from a public computer, get an address (if you don't know it already). Type up a letter and don't put a return address on it. Dunno, maybe dump it in a mail box a little ways from your city/town. Sounds like some work, but I think that would assure you some secrecy.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

anonymous email is everywhere just google.......but....why do you want to keep anonymity??? Scanning is not illegal (or that is what i think)
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Elite Hacker
    Scanning I believe is not illegal, but to figure out they were wide open, you'd have to probe a little beyond scanning, which is a kinda grey line.

Easy way: Anonymous E-mail.

Go to www.anonymous.to and setup an account there. should be anonymous enough to serve your purpose.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller