Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backing up HD

backing up HD

I need to backup my harddrive.....unfortuanately, I need to back them up to CDs......it is a 40gig HD. What software will make this as small a footprint as possible, and ease of use? OSS would be nice since it will be easier to acquire.....the laptop is using XP.........

man, thats rough. you have to backup all 40gigs? program files, windows OS and all?

If you have the original CDs, then don't back that up. you can use the original cds for that.

I'd just backup data. I don't have any good suggestions other than your cd burning software... or something like ghost?

I do my backups to a remote drive... or a tape drive...

sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I save all the programs I use on a burnable cd and back up my data and pichure files also on cd. The operating system as phishphreek80 has stated, I can get from the original cd's. So if I have to reload everything, the only thing that takes alot of time is doing the M$N updates again.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Part Timer
    XP huh. if you happen to have an extra HD go pick up a case for it. One that will allow for USB or firewire connection. Here are a few example You can find them in other places cheaper, this was just an example.

Then use xcopy from the command line. This way you can back the whole thing up as is.

Copies files and directory trees.

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/W] [/C] [/I] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/U] [/K] [/N]

source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    /A Copies files with the archive attribute set, doesn't change the attribute.
    /M Copies files with the archive attribute set, turns off the archive attribute.
    /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date. If no date is given, copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
    /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    /S Copies directories and sub directories except empty ones.
    /E Copies directories and sub directories, including empty ones. Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
    /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
    /C Continues copying even if errors occur.
    /I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file, assumes that destination must be a directory.
    /Q Does not display file names while copying.
    /F Displays full source and destination file names while copying.
    /L Displays files that would be copied.
    /H Copies hidden and system files also.
    /R Overwrites read-only files.
    /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does not include empty directories or sub directories. /T /E includes empty directories and sub directories.
    /U Updates the files that already exist in destination.
    /K Copies attributes. Normal xcopy will reset read-only attributes.
    /Y Overwrites existing files without prompting.
    /-Y Prompts you before overwriting existing files.
    /N Copy using the generated short names.

EXAMPLES

xcopy h:\*.* /a /e /k

While this information is public knowledge, here is my source

Hope this helps. If you aren't looking to go to this extreme then the previous answers are very useful as well.

Be safe and stay free

dopeydadwarf: I've used this before. It works pretty well. But, in that case, I had another HD in the box to backup to. Not good for disaster recovery (a pain to pull the HD out of the case and switch them periodically) but good enough for data corruption or failed hard drive.

Hopefully they'll have the resources to get the extra HD. To backup 40 gigs on CDrom?! That'd take forever. It cheaper (time wise, if you count your time as money) to have another removable drive.

BTW: you can buy an one touch backup drive. Its pretty cool and not too expensive. I've seen them at many places. office depot, staples, best buy, etc.

something like this
    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&Sku=504513
    or this
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...020&pfp=SEARCH
    but... I've seen smaller (I thought) that didn't cost as much.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Why dont you go to a shell account site soome of them give you a crap load of space for free and FTP access http://<a rel="nofollow" href="http:...llacct.com</a> is currently being rebuilt but they offered 1GB per user and it was free members got 5GB there a bunch of places out the where you can store and back up your files

Originally posted here by VBraga
    Why dont you go to a shell account site soome of them give you a crap load of space for free and FTP access http://<a rel="nofollow" href="http:...llacct.com</a> is currently being rebuilt but they offered 1GB per user and it was free members got 5GB there a bunch of places out the where you can store and back up your files
    Does that really make any sense? Remote backup to a bunch of shell accounts where the owners can rummage though your files or you don't even know how or even if they are backing them up? Or, how do you know that the acct will still be there when you try to retrieve your backups? And... how in the hell do you propose them to backup 40gigs over the internet? Its doubtful that this user has the pipeline to do a backup in a timely manner...

My school gives me a shell account and unlimited space (at last check, there was about 350gigs available) but do you really think that I'm going to backup my hard drive (over 80gb) at 11kbps?

Come on now... think about it before you post.

He said he had a 40GB HardDrive not 40GB's to store and why would a secure place like http://shellacct.com or http://Freeshell.org that have over 30,000 user want to view someone's files? these places have also been up since before 1987.

Well........I think the guy is talking laptop?...don't like them personally

I would think about an external DVD writer?

/me uses matched HDDS and RAID1

cheers

I'm Using DVD to backup my data, but you have to spend some money to get them... it's worth... Or you can buy another hard Disk, so that you can acces them faster... Just spend some money to get them... You'll use it in the future...