what is the best firewall

OK heres the setup:

2 DNS Servers - Win
    2 web hosting servers - Win
    1 mail server - Win with Imail
    1 SQL server - Win SQL 2K
    1 FTP Server - Win WSFTP
    1 Spam Filter - Linx

Reguadless of OS what would be the best, or what is the best firewall to use. I don't really want to have to learn hungarian-voodoo to configure it so something a little main stream and in the Windose or Linix world would do me best, but that aside if you could choose a firewall software to go it's own box what would you use. We decided to make our own with BSD but after a second thought and before I spend 2 months (exageration) configuring this thing I was wondered what other people feel works best.

Thanks
    \"If you know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant of both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle.\"

-Sun Tzu

What I would suggest is something like smoothwall or ipcop.

This would allow you to hook you internet connection directly into one box then route if off to your servers.

They are *nix based systems, but very good firewalls I believe.

http://smoothwall.org
    http://ipcop.org
    =

CISCO routers come with kicka## firewalls, a little pricey though if you want cheap Dlink has some pretty neat Routers that include VPN, and a firewall. But still if thats to much money you could always run a Diskless firewall with NetBSD, or FreeBSD you need at least 128MB of ram to do this though but if you have an old computer laying around this would be a good and cheao option http://FreeBSD.or I wouldn't recomend OpenBSD because they barely support any hardware.

i would suggest going to symantec.com and buy one of the new harware firewalls, pricey but i would put my trust in symantec.

p.s. Dont put all your trust in security when you have a firewall, the best security is a good system admin

To that question ( what is the best firewall ) there is only one answer..

MINE !! My firewall is the best there is . .

Make your own "best" firewall
    http://www.netfilter.org/documentati...entation-howto
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just Another Geek
    I think you'll need to decide if you want a hardware or a software firewall.

Good, but expensive hw firewalls include (but isn't limited to):
    Nokia - Checkpoint FW/1
    Cisco Pix

Software firewalls include (but isn't limited either):
    Checkpoint FW/1 on Solaris/WinNT/Win2K
    Microsoft ISA Server

Then there's the "build your own" option with:

PF - OpenBSDs standard firewall
    IPFilter - Darren Reed's IPFilter runs on Linux/*BSD/Solaris

Checkpoint and ISA both have a 'point 'n click' user interface.
    You can install a point 'n click interface on a PIX too these days, but it sux.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks for the info all. I guess I will for the time being keep grinding out the BSD firewall. (note to self...must leard more about BSD) I will eventually get a new cisco router, the one I have is way old and barley works as it is...don't want to push my luck. I have heard from others they worked good. I personnaly have never configured one so i didn't know.

Thanks again
    \"If you know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant of both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle.\"

-Sun Tzu

The best firewall is really a broad question. If this is a business it will be different from a home firewall. You can get by with an IPtables firewall. This is the standard for linux systems. I use it, it currently protects www.pureescape.net , it works great. The rules are very flexible and you really have total control of what's allowed and not allowed to go over the wire. It's an easy firewall to learn, with lots of configuration tools readily available, plenty of documentation and you can even find already hardened scripts that you can customize. So, I'd strongly recommend it for your small to mid size business or personal setup.

For a big business, I'd look into some Cisco products. Nobody knows IP like Cisco, they'll set you up straight.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

In my opinion, firewall is not everything.Which one is the best is not that important for me! I just want know how can I make a soft firewall,and it will be more better.

Originally posted here by yeck
    In my opinion, firewall is not everything.Which one is the best is not that important for me! I just want know how can I make a soft firewall,and it will be more better.
    Hi yeck

Welcome to AO, you should aquaint yourself with AO FAQ .

This thread was started 2yrs ago, and some of the information is no longer valid, also some of the applications mentioned have either disappeared or have been improved..

Unless you are the original poster and have come back to update everyone, you should avoid threads where the date is flashing.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson