Thread: Need Help with Linksys Log Viewer

Need Help with Linksys Log Viewer

I need some help with the Linksys Log viewer. If anyone out there has used any of the programs, I would be very happy to have a little assistance. I have tried two for Windows (the shitty one offered by Linksys without any support and then this one http://home.debitel.net/user/svensch...ew/lvdownl.htm )

And then I tried one on Linux and I can't get it to work either. Nothing I really need to have, I just want a hard record of my logs. My router is the linksys BEFSR41 ver.2 and I have it set up to send the log files to all machines in x.x.x.255 and as for OSes: Windows XP and Mandrake Linux.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

You might want to give these a try don't know if you looked at them yet.
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Firewall_Log_Tools.htm

Thanks for the link Deadaddict! I am going to wait awhile and do a little more research before I try somemore of these out, I installed one and it seriously F***ed my XP box when I tried to uninstall it. Regardless that pissed me off, but it is fixed now.

So if I find one that I just dig out the wazoo I will post back. Oh and the one that messed my box up was the one offered by linksys.
    -Walt Whitman-

Thanks for the heads up about the linksys log viewer and good luck in your search for a better log viewer

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    Thanks for the link Deadaddict! I am going to wait awhile and do a little more research before I try somemore of these out, I installed one and it seriously F***ed my XP box when I tried to uninstall it. Regardless that pissed me off, but it is fixed now.

So if I find one that I just dig out the wazoo I will post back. Oh and the one that messed my box up was the one offered by linksys.

Really? How did it screw up your box? I'm using the BEFSR41 at home and I use the Logviewer that is provided by Linksys. Although it is very basic, I've never had any troubles with it - I'd be curious to know what happened with yours.

I'd also like to know what you come up with as far as a new viewer, it'd probably be something I'd be interested in...
    - Maverick

Hi,

I use to use Linkloger on WinXP it worked great. http://www.linklogger.com/
    It has a lot of nice features.

Mac

syslogd from kiwi is a stand alone app and requires no install although it does put all the files in a folder, creates a shortcut and adds a reg entry for a service if you choose that. the older version didn't even do that it was just an exe. i use it on a win2k network but i cant forsee any probs with xp. it'll accept syslog messages from any number of sources (as far as i can tell) and can archive to an access database (if you know delphi or vb this is very cool) or use a number of other file formats csv, txt, etc. it has an incredible amount of features in the free version and more if you buy it like running apps on alarm instead of just beeping or emailing. it skinable in both versions and comes with a few nice skins so its a little easier on the eyes if you spend allot of time with it.

i have one instance running just for the firebox II because of the volume of traffic and another for all the vpn/soho fireboxes on another computer.

is good. use.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Okay Maverick, first the logviewers I tried didn't actually work. I set them up and left them running for the day and they didn't recieve anything. I was kinda busy at the time and didn't really feel like going to in depth on setting them up so I tried another one called WallWatcher:

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

It is great, it starts up and runs in the background when Windows starts and it stays minimized in the taskbar. It gives me realtime updates and everything is saved to log files. You can then use the app to go back to previous log files, analyze them, and then make a 3d chart of the intrusions. I reccommend it highly.

As for the other ones, I uninstalled them and I believe that one of them left a stray *.dll around behind so I got the classic winlogon error where your shell restarts without giving you any error message every time you access explorer (Thank God I had the same problem before and fixed it).

Oh and by the way, WallWatcher is *Free*
    -Walt Whitman-