Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping out of University

Dropping out of University

You guys are bright intelligent people, do you think it's such a really bad idea to drop out of university after just a year (or less) of study?

Do you think ones job prospects would be greatly effected if leaving before the full 3 years of study had been completed?

Thanks for any input.
    -

Hi mate1

I would never advise dropping out if you can possibly afford to continue. You might want to change course/content but hang on in there. OK, what you learn may not be at the cutting edge, but the qualification is your entry ticket to better things?

I used to get students in their year out in industry.........they would all ask "shall I finish my degree" and I always said "unless you want to have wasted three years of your life"

Stick at it.

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'd highly advised against. If you're bored with your present study or don't like it, persue something else (speak to the Counsellor -- and yes, there are course counsellors who can advise directions to persue). In this job market, anything that can get you an edge is worth it. Today, at least in Canada, you need -- at minimum -- a degree or diploma to even be considered for a position beyond flipping burgers. The market is tight right now and staying a bit longer in school may not be such a bad thing..

Ultimately the choice is yours however... We can give our opinions but unless your heart is there so you can devote your study time to what you need to learn, then it won't make a difference if you stay or go.

Out of curiosity, why are you asking? Are you feeling disillusioned with study (what are you studying anyways)? Is it a cost issue?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm am currently in a University, and what I do to help me keep my interest in college is take a class every semester that I enjoy.

For instance if I have Biology, math, lit, and another subject that I hate, I'll throw in a course on Operations Systems or Networking. Just something that I enjoy to do. It helps to make the semester go by faster.

So pretty much like everyone else here has said I would not advise that you drop out. A college education can go a long way.
    =

Thanks for the repiles. I'm currently studying for a BSc Computer Science degree. I've been here for 4 months now and am in the second semester.

I used to be really interested in computing and would study on top of what was in the classes, but since starting my degree and moving 250+ miles away from my friends and family my interest has really fallen, and i find myself trying to do just enough to pass, if that.

I don't make friends easily and, well i havn't. After being here for 4 months i've not made one.
    -

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You should look into a local Computer Club. It's probably a place where you might make some friends. And don't forget to call home each week. It can make the difference. This time of the year can be a hard time since it is mid-Winter, we have less daylight (you're probably not getting enough being in class all day -- get out and go for a walk around the campus) and it's the first year your at University, especially so far away from home. This is a normal thing. University is awe-inspiring as well as just plain too huge to deal with all at once.

You should also look into student services (check with the Main Office or check your student handbook/website). Nothing wrong with a little bit of counselling and advice. Sometimes it makes a difference just to have someone, anyone to talk to.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I am going to have to agree with everyone else that has previously posted. I have plenty of friends that have droped out of College and are either regretting it, or simply having a hell of a time trying to get time to regret it. (I.e. there in jail.)

College is becoming more of the norm these days, if you want any decent job you have to go. Now as for the friends thing, I would say maybe once a month see if your friends can come up on the weekend. Or you go home for the weekend. It will really help a bit. Also the thing to remember is that it is college it's a new experience why not try a few things that you haven't tried already. Try going to a party. They are easy to be invited to.

Life is about choices, and this is one that you will have to make. I will honestly say, you might want to think this one out a bit before you make that final decision. Oh and I think your parents are going to be pissed if they just spent 5k on you for half a yr and you don't even finish. Atleast mine would.

Hope you make the right decision for you, whichever that may be.

MsM we have to do something for you, you are almost as bad as me. You never sleep. I am always up becuase I can't sleep. hehe

Yeah, get inovled in groups man.

I got involved with a AITP (Association fo Information Technology Professionals) group, and have made several friends that way.

Thats one key to helping you get through college is to have friends.
    =

I'm going to agree with what everyone else said, but for a different reason. I graduated from high school with a full scholarship to a state college. However, I made the wrong decision and got married too. Long story short, husband had a drinking problem, I had to drop out of school to work so we had someplace to live and food on the table, and I never finished college. It was just too much, trying to keep up with everything. Now I'm 30, take classes at a community college, and spend a lot of time regretting the decision I made when I was too young to realize what I had done to myself. If there is anyway humanly possible for you to stay, for gods sake stay!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Seeing evryone here allready adviced youto stay, I'm gonna try to tell things from my perspective..

I dropped out of university in the last year, I found out (work experience) that the line of work I was training for wasn't for me (X-rays and radiation treatment).
    I started to pickup my hobby again, and after some studieing got a good job as programmer/admin..

I'm not advising you to drop out.. I'm just telling that if you realy want to do something, you'll get there, provided you work realy hard (study) and are realy good at it..

There are still some companies (usualy the smaller ones) that don't look at diploma's, but instead look at experience and real life quality's..

Remember, a doctor who just barely made the mark, still is a doctor..
    But I'd rather have someone work on me who realy knows what he's doing..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !