Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Security School Project

Computer Security School Project

For a project I have to do a presentation on computer security. I do not know much about computer security. Antionline is a great resource that i found when I was looking for information but it is very specific in that it talks about specific security practices.

I was wondering is some of the people that frequent here could give me some ideas for what would be useful in a presentation to computer students that are not security experts.

So far I have the basics covered:

What is a virus, worm, spyware

I have a section of AVG anti virus, and ad aware (these were recommended by the professor)

I also have some simple steps for virus prevention.

This gives me about 8 minutes of material and I must say it isnt anything that great. Would you all be able to give me some ideas on other material i could further research that is relevant in todays security world?

Thanks,
    Derrick

You could also cover firewalls. What they do, and how they are set up. A very good artical on firewalls can be found at: http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1750
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

ids's (Intrusion detection systems) email forgery.sql interjection ,trojans ect im sure somone will come up with a better list than this .
    tell them not to open attachments
    and their probably running windows impress the importants of windows update

Here are a few more topics for you to search on google.

Social engineering
    Password policy (How to make and protect a good password)
    Physical protection (keeping unauthorized people away from the computer or servers)
    packet sniffers
    Encryption
    VPN (Virtual Private Network)
    Group and Users policies (setting the permissions on different folders for groups and users)

Those are just a few. I could go into a lot more. Is this going to be about a lone computer at home or a computer that is part of a network?
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Hi,

There is a big thread on useful tools..............have a look through that.

I am thinking in terms of secondary defences such as:

1. Prevent changes to the registry (over 90% of malware tries to do that)
    2. Prevent executables running from where they should not (IE, Mail, Zip files etc.)
    3. Prevent mail being sent without confirmation (mass mailing malware)
    4. Checksumming software that detects changes to programs & files
    5. Software that notifies of changes to the startup list
    6. Software that notifies of new processes that start and run in the background

And so on................

Cheers

Thanks guys, setting off with the search feature here and some googling

I appreciate it.

Derrick

Maybe starting with the goals of security: CIA; Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability....

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I can use info on a lone home computer or about one that is part of a network.

Thanks again for all of the great info, it really has helped and if anyone wants to list some more ideas I wont complain. I plan on sticking around on Antionline this is a great place to learn.

Derrick

Originally posted here by One Who Watches
    I could go into a lot more. Is this going to be about a lone computer at home or a computer that is part of a network?

i think this tut in the link can help you
    http://www.tgs-security.com/tutorial...xSecurity.html
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

There was a thread on this about a month ago here on AO. You can check it out here its a pretty good list...you should check it out....

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller