Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Theory

In Theory

I'm currently in the university halls, and therefore connected to the university network. All internet traffic (in and out) goes through a HTTP/NAT firewall router, therefore direct connects to my computer are ruled out (overlooking tunneling, and any similar technologies).

The problem is that i'd like to host a ftp server to allow my friend to download a large file from my computer. I've descovered, downloaded and played with the ftp server i plan to use.

Another service the university always provides is user (e.g student/staff) webspace. This webspace allows for use of HTML, CSS etc etc and PHP. My question is, would in theory i be able to create a webpage using the university webspace (and PHP) that detected any connections coming from the outside world, which then connected to my pc (inside the network) and set up a session to send the file to my friend.
    -

What is with everyone wanting to know how to bypass their campus security? I'm in college, hell... I spend a fair amount of time in the res. fixing things that guys like you f@#$ up. I used to say, yeah if they wanna do that.. fine with me, i'll ignore it but now it just pisses me off. Why is everyone always so intent on breaking the rules? Use an IM and send the file to your friends, upload it to the webspace that you have provided to you and let them download it directly from there.

Now as to your original, "theoretical" question. Yes it would be possible but there are a lot of ifs. If the webserver has both an associated private and public IP (so that it has access to both networks), if you have the correct permissions on the webserver for the php script to execute all the commands, if you have the knowledge to write a script like that, if your school doesn't monitor bandwidth (if they do... i'd say bye bye network privledges), if you don't mind risking expulsion, if they don't have the greatest security. The list goes on and on. I'd suggest you grow the f@#$ up and find logical ways to do something. Hell burn a CD and mail it to them.

F@#$ing lil kids!

I was only asking, didn't your parents ever teach you, if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all !

If you don’t (theoretical) learn outside the rules, how can you ensure the rules aren’t able to be broken ?
    -

Mikester,

1. How big is the file?
    2. Is this likely to be regular or just a one off?

I am kinda thinking of your security as well? So there might be an alternative strategy?

What OSes are you both running?

Cheers

Well one thing that would kill the possibility of establishing a ftp server is if they block out the ftp for the students. There are commands they can put in denying a subnetwork or individual IP of just about anything. Whether it is http or telnet or ftp or icmp, etc.
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Here's a quick fix - have your FRIEND set up the FTP server. Simply log in (there's no way your school is blocking packets across the board on FTP ports) and upload that large file to him/her.

No need to circumvent what's in place.

l00p

Originally posted here by mikester2
    I was only asking, didn't your parents ever teach you, if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all !

If you don’t (theoretical) learn outside the rules, how can you ensure the rules aren’t able to be broken ?
    Wow, that's mature..... I could pose the same thing back to you.. Didn't your parents ever tell you it was wrong to break the rules? And to answer your question, my parents actually told me to always be honest and open, which I was.

If you would like to know how you learn without breaking the rules, it's actually quite simple. You setup your own test network. It is your stuff, you can do whatever you want and not be breaking the rules, however when it's someone elses equipment, it's always wrong to try and bypass their rules and policies... even if you claim it's for the purpose of learning.

I think it is also possible to have http download.. now quite not sure on the ways of doing it .. but if u visit download.com they have an option even for http download.. I guess that would do the trick......
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

I want to allow my friend to download a file sized 460MB, we are both running winXP. My friend has cable.

Btw HTRegz i respect your point about setting up my own test network, and i have done that, but being a student not being able to spend thousands on dedicated routers/switchs/software etc, it's a little limited. And when i say limited, i mean limited, 2 computers and a laptop. Can't set up much of a 'halls network'-to-'college network'-to-'web server'-to-'router'-to-'Internet' scenario with that.
    -

Originally posted here by mikester2
    I want to allow my friend to download a file sized 460MB, we are both running winXP. My friend has cable.

Btw HTRegz i respect your point about setting up my own test network, and i have done that, but being a student not being able to spend thousands on dedicated routers/switchs/software etc, it's a little limited. And when i say limited, i mean limited, 2 computers and a laptop. Can't set up much of a 'halls network'-to-'college network'-to-'web server'-to-'router'-to-'Internet' scenario with that.
    It's been mentioned before. VMWare. Hell even Virtual PC ain't to bad. You can do amazing things with it. The guy in Network Services at my college does all his script dev in VMWare. You have 3 computers, 1 VMWare on each and you suddenly have 6. I'm sure one of them could handle two VMs if you had simple stuff, that would give you 7. You have XP on your machines the webserver and the other "your computer". Then connect them via a switch (or hub, or crossover if yer desperate), using private IPs. On your "webserver" start up a VM and run FreeSCO with physical access to your network card and it's own IP (make it a public IP just for the hell of it). Now connect your laptop through to it, using the FreeSCO VMs "public" address. You have no simulated the premise of the schools network. You could then start to do some really funky stuff if you so desire and all it really requires is 3 PCs, 4 NICs, 2 Switches/hubs/crossover cables, and VMWare.