Thread: RegKey Question....

Exclamation RegKey Question....

I found an alarmingly strange registry key today...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\SuperHidden

What is this key, and what are other possible values? I first thought of "Microsoft's Really Hidden Files" in http://www.microsuck.com ....then i realized that the key is set to 0. So, I'm at a loss as to what this may be.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Windows 2000 and XP have a special category of files reserved for internal operating system and filesystem uses, called "superhidden" files. If you want to be able to see these files for whatever reasons, navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

and set the DWORD ShowSuperHidden to 1.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Lightbulb Ah ha...

mk, I'm running ME here, but that should be the same...thanx. Also, I found a few other strange things in there...a entire section is "encrypted." (Just a matter of A=N, B=O, C=P, etc, etc...) but it just contains paths to random apps on the PC, wonder why that's encrypted as it is...

Also, I found more folders containing those MS Really Hidden Files...Also in the Content.IE5 folder, and called index.dat. Some of them were rather large.

Hmm...also found the regkey that contained all of IE's "trusted" download sites. Of course Microsoft was there by default. I don't like that, I want to know *everything* being put on my PC, though Microsoft could circumvent anything they wanted seeing as they have the source code...speaking of which; it has apparently leaked from the Russian gov't already. I haven't been able to locate the source, but I'm sure if it's found in the America's, we'll see customized versions of Windows everywhere, and a new breed of security for Windows.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You try to buy a book on registry editing or look on google for every registry key you're suspicious about.
    -Simon \"SDK\"