Many times we advise end users to make use of knowledge base articles on the MS site. One end user had issues saving files to network drives. It took an unreasonable amount of time to perform the task so the end user went to the MS knowledge base to search for a resolution. What she found floored me.

MS, the clowns who are screaming about their progress in the new "Security Initiative" have a KB article that advises users to *DISABLE* realtime virus protection if saving files to network drives takes too long. Yes, you have read correctly.

Snip:

RESOLUTION
To work around this issue, temporarily turn off File System Realtime Protection, and then save the file. For more information about how to do so, view the documentation that was included with your program.

Here is the actual article.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=off2003

I have seen infections hit machines in less than a second. This, in my opinion, is wreckless on the part of MS.

Anyway, before you have your end users go off looking to do a little self help, you may want to look at the resolution to the problem before it becomes a security issue rather than a helpdesk issue.

--TH13